Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2013, 09:19 PM
Friend

Vincent,

I know that you have been around long enough now to know of Bill and his work, and you yourself would have seen the beast that they call 'Photostock' growing in to the event that it is over the years over on APUG. The guys and girls that make that journey year in , year out, and lets not forget, it is a 9, 10, or 11 hour drive for a lot of them, they are all anologue users, and most have been there from the beginning, a small cabin and a camp fire, and are still there today. None of them guys are ever going to be moving to digital, not now, not ever. There is just about as much chance of Bill Schwab going digital as there is me having a sex change, though I am told that I have the legs for it

BUT, Photostock isn't about that, they are not photographers, they are artists, and they will use what ever means possible to get the look that they are after in the final print, and that is what it is about, the final print. There is no prejudice as to what visitors have on a strap around their neck. It is not a forum, no one cares. It is about seeing, sharing, listening, learning, asking, and most importantly making friends, and friends for life. Photostock is going to be a detination, and should be able to cater for all, and I believe that is Bill's dream.

When I loaded a roll of film in to a camera ten years ago, I became part of a family, and Photostock will be a family destination.

Cheers

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I noticed that he also intends to cater for digital photography. I don't blame him, he has to make a living, but surely it will only be a matter of time before the camp becomes totally dependent on digital users.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
That's very kind Neil, are you paying for us?
Good on you for signing up.
J.
Jon,

I was hoping to cadge a lift on your yatch

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th February 2013, 10:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
Both Barry and Neil

Trust me, Bill will be made up having your support. Every last dollar counts to get this project up and running. That's a great idea getting a group together for a visit Neil. This is such a wonderful part of the U.S.A, and has so much to offer photographically. Work from past 'Photostock's' can be found here.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/photost...oto_7805514028

To me, 'Photostock' is the Mother of all photo gatherings, and I am so glad that I made the journey over the waters, and so look forward to my next visit in 2014.

Cheers

Stoo

Stoo,

2014 is not that far away and maybe we could get a group of FADUs together to go to photostock 2014. I am not volunteering to do the organising but if someone got this going I would be interested in joining in.

Maybe after this year's photostock has run would be a good time to discuss this as a separate item to avoid distracting from the current kickstarter initiative.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st February 2013, 12:18 PM
Friend

I too have now pledged to this great sounding project.

Although with limited mobility, I would love to go to one of the meets.

Has anyone thought about starting a Photostock UK = even if it is on a much smaller scale?

Terry S
Old 21st February 2013, 12:41 PM
Friend

Terry,
How about trying to come to the London meet up for Saturday night print viewing session. All the people that have committed to Photostock as you have on this forum will be there.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"

Last edited by Jon Butler; 21st February 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 21st February 2013, 01:23 PM
Friend

Hi Jon,

thanks for the invite!

Despite my mobility problems and getting to and fro to places like London (where I lived until recently for the last 20 years or so), at any other time I might have considered it.... BUT it's my birthday on Saturday so will be otherwise engaged.

Maybe next time though.

Terry S
Old 21st February 2013, 01:25 PM
Friend

Ooooops!

Just noticed the 'Saturday night meet' is not until August 2013!

I will think about it after all and see how I am closer to the time, so who knows, I may see you there yet!

Terry S
Old 21st February 2013, 08:31 PM
Friend

Good on you Terry

Regarding a 'Photostock UK', yes, it was talked about briefly at our last gathering in Hartland Quay, but it didn't come to much as there didn't seem to be many that supported the idea. I think the one thing that the Americans have over us is the willingness to travel for their passion, while we in the U.K seem to hang in our own neck of the woods, so to speak.

Can you imagine holding 'Photostock U.K' on the Isle of Sky, people just won't drive the distance for it, where as in the U.S, it would be regarded as just popping over the border

Cheers

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I too have now pledged to this great sounding project.

Although with limited mobility, I would love to go to one of the meets.

Has anyone thought about starting a Photostock UK = even if it is on a much smaller scale?

Terry S
Old 21st February 2013, 08:35 PM
Friend

Neil

I am loving your way of thinking. I will look in to it. The trip will be far cheaper as a group, as we could car share from the local airport.

We shall talk soon about this

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Stoo,

2014 is not that far away and maybe we could get a group of FADUs together to go to photostock 2014. I am not volunteering to do the organising but if someone got this going I would be interested in joining in.

Maybe after this year's photostock has run would be a good time to discuss this as a separate item to avoid distracting from the current kickstarter initiative.

Neil.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
Neil

I am loving your way of thinking. I will look in to it. The trip will be far cheaper as a group, as we could car share from the local airport.

We shall talk soon about this

Stoo

Stoo,

That's good of you to volunteer, there's nothing like past experience as a qualification for the job I am sure we can work out something for 2014 - I look foward to the later discussions.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies