Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th January 2014, 09:20 AM
Friend

Default Ilex Plate camera

I have an Ilex 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" camera with plate holders. I want to try this camera but obviously cannot get suitable plates although one of the plate holders contains an unprocessed plate. I wonder if I could cut up 5 x 4 film and perhaps pack out the plate holder to get the emulsion in the right position. I understand that you can get a Rollex rada 120 film holder to fit this camera. There have been a couple on Ebay that went for around £15. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilex .jpg
Views:	321
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	2011  
Old 30th January 2014, 10:07 AM
Friend

Although I have never done it I think that it is possible to coat plates with the liquad emulsion for paper such as is available from Silverprint or AG, assuming you can get suitable glass cut to the correct size, might be worth looking into
Richard
Old 30th January 2014, 10:21 AM
Friend

I have quite a few Rollex and a couple of Rada backs in various sizes to fit 9x12, quarter plate and 6x9 cameras.

The only problem is there's no standard edge type and a few variations so it can be a bit hit and miss finding the correct one.
Also some are for 620 rather than 120.

I have got a lot (over 150) plate holders which I'll be sorting soon but not sure what might be spare in terms of RF backs. If you're down this way (North Worcestershire) you're welcome to drop in, I have quite a few plate cameras of varying sizes.

Ian
Old 30th January 2014, 10:40 AM
Friend

Just another thought, that is probably a re-badged German camera sold by Kodak with an Ilex Paragon lens & shutter.

Kodak bought from a few different manufacturers before finally buying Na.gel.

Ian
Old 30th January 2014, 01:36 PM
Friend

I have an older camera that takes the same size of plates. I got some plates and some cut film for it, but its well past its expiry date and, although I got some images, they were very poor. When using the cut film, I inserted a piece of thin corrugated cardboard in the holder as a packer. this worked ok. you can get new 6x9cm cut film which would probably fit. The only issue would be whether or not there was enough of a margin along each film edge to be held securely in the holder. I have just had a look at the measurements, and they appear to be pretty close. I believe, and will be corrected if I am wrong, that there were plate adapters made for using cut film in plate holders. I don't know how easy it would be to find such a thing. If you can get film of a suitable size, then the cardboard method ,or similar, would at least allow you to try out your camera. Good luck, Alex.
Old 30th January 2014, 02:31 PM
Friend

Cut film is slightly smaller than the plate sizes to allow for the thickness of the edges of the film adapters.

Again I have quite a few film adapters but not sure what sizes apart from 5x4, 9x12 and Quarter plate the formats I use.

Ian
Old 30th January 2014, 07:05 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The camera has a lens marked Wallace Heaton and the shutter says ILEX Universal.

I wasn't aware that you can still get 6X9 film I have only seen 5x4.

I only have the one plate that I could re-coat, it is something I have thought about. I suppose you might be able to find some old plates in antique shops that could be re-used.

Thank you for the offer Ian, I would love to drop in a see your collection. I do visit Gaydon in Warwickshire regularly perhaps if that is not too far we could arrange something.

Brian
Old 30th January 2014, 08:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanP View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies. The camera has a lens marked Wallace Heaton and the shutter says ILEX Universal.

I wasn't aware that you can still get 6X9 film I have only seen 5x4.

I only have the one plate that I could re-coat, it is something I have thought about. I suppose you might be able to find some old plates in antique shops that could be re-used.

Thank you for the offer Ian, I would love to drop in a see your collection. I do visit Gaydon in Warwickshire regularly perhaps if that is not too far we could arrange something.

Brian
Brian, I'm half an hour from Gaydon but probably the same distance home to North Staffs (as Gaydon). PM me if/when you want to drop by.

I'll check my Wallace and Heaton adverts your camera may be listed it'll be a Zodel, that was the WH trade name for their cameras.

Ian
Old 30th January 2014, 10:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanP View Post
[...]The camera has a lens marked Wallace Heaton and the shutter says ILEX Universal.[...]
Hm, could be a Certotrop from Certo (Dresden), marketed from Heaton in the UK.
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Certotrop
At the bottom of that article:
"Certotrop models were sold by Wallace Heaton in London under their Zodel brand. The 6.5×9 cm & 9×12 cm models were sold in the U.S. as the Bee Bee Model A (6.5×9 cm) and Model B (9×12 cm) by importer Burleigh Brooks (hence the name "Bee Bee")."

Could be something in your search for spare parts.
BTW, there is also a Certosport
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Certosport
Old 31st January 2014, 09:12 AM
Friend

Thanks for the information, Martin. It is identical with the description of the Certotrop. It has an f4.5 120mm No:0 Zodellar Anastigmat lens. The only thing not working is the level which I think must be empty as I can't see a bubble.
Brian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies