Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2019, 01:34 PM
longhouselife

Default First colour....

Friend just sent me this link : https://www.boredpanda.com/first-col...auguste-louis/

116 of the oldest colour photographs, mind blowing - colour, sharpness, clarity.....
Old 11th March 2019, 03:03 PM
Friend

The autochrome process was mindblowing when it was first around, and there are still some photographers using it today, I think that some of these very early colour photographs are sometimes better than some of todays, although I am sure some of todays color photographers will disagree with me, thanks for posting Mat
Richard
Old 11th March 2019, 05:48 PM
Friend

Most are very good as well as looking very natural while one or two are "different" but in ways I could not quite put my finger on. Certainly the portraiture shots have captured skin tones very well.

The only slightly strange looking one was the figure of Charlie Chaplin - it seemed to have a kind of cast to it

Mike
Old 11th March 2019, 06:08 PM
Friend

They have a charm all of their own. So what if the colour is not exactly accurate, what I do like is the muted tones that Autochrome is capable of producing.

I also spotted a couple of prints obviously from Dufay Colour as well. (The prints look very grainy but that was the nature of the beast).Dufay used coloured starch crystals to make up the emulsion. It was still available commercially in the early 1960's and I remember it being advertised in the classified section at the back of the Amateur Photographer.

The portraits of the women of all ages particularly are very good and natural. Perhaps some of the young upstarts who fire away on their digital cameras in the hope that one may come out as they wished would be better to stand back and study these.
Old 11th March 2019, 06:14 PM
Friend

Wonderful pictures giving us a glimpse of history in amazing colour.

Thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoyed seeing them.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies