Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th May 2011, 06:17 PM
Friend

Default ID11 dilution

ID11 is my preferred developer and have always strictly followed the instructions. I've used it at stock solution, diluted 1 + 1 and 1 + 3, and today I diluted 1 + 2 with an excellent result (dev time was the mean of 1 +1 and 1 + 3 times).
Now my question : I can't really tell the difference of development between stock, 1+1, 1+2 or 1+3. I mostly use FP4+ and HP5.
Can anybody tell me where I should be looking to see the difference?
Peter
Old 8th May 2011, 06:23 PM
Friend

Allegedly grain. Stock is supposed to give the least grain but might lack some acutance.

However if you can't see it then effectively it isn't there. Higher dilutions as I understand it also give slightly better speeds and obviously more economy.

It sounds as if your dilutions produce true win/win situations.

Mike
Old 8th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Friend

Peter I always follow Ilfords advice in their leaflets. I use stock solution of ID11 to develope Delta 400 and am very happy with the results. I think it is a better film than HP5 and not nearly as grainy.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 8th May 2011, 08:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Higher dilutions as I understand it also give slightly better speeds
This I think is not actually true. The theory goes something along the lines of when you are using compensating dilutions the shadows continue to develop when the highlights have used up all the developer. BUT to get to a compensating dilution you have actually reduced the ability of the developer to lift the shadows as high as it would have had you not diluted it. So whilst the shadows are being developed more than the highlights it is no more than it would have been with less dilution. Diluting developer nearly always puts a longer toe into the film and to get rid of that you have to reduce the film speed. i.e. give it more exposure.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:02 AM
Friend

I find that diluting the developer seems to give slightly better edge sharpness (acutance) and so is better if you want to show a lot of detail. There is a slight increase in grain, but very little.
I certainly think it's better to use full strength developer for push processing though. Delta 400 and HP5 uprate successfully by 2 stops in full strength developer.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I certainly think it's better to use full strength developer for push processing though. Delta 400 and HP5 uprate successfully by 2 stops in full strength developer.
As a student I did some low light performance photoggraphy and dveloped in my usual D76 1:1. I didn't use a formula to push but handheld at what I thought was safest and shot a roll of 20 for clip testing.
Thirty minutes at 1:1 seemed to work I remember.
Now I'd push by a given number of stops and use ID11 full strength.
Generall I ue it 1:3 or if I have a lot and time is important 1:1.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:08 PM
Friend

D76/ID11 is my preferred brew with HP5. 1:1 gives me best overall results. I've tried it a couple of times a t 1:3 but there is a noticeable increase in grain with little (that I can see) increase in acutance. As for pushing HP5, D76 never really works for me. FWIW, Anchell's 'microphen' type dev gives excellent results at 800asa with HP5
Old 9th May 2011, 04:05 PM
Friend

I am a great fan of D76 / ID11 and use it a lot with TRiX and HP5+ I have tried stock, 1+1, 1+2 and 1+3 and found each to produce excellent results. However my preferred dilution is 1+2 which I find works well for me. However if pushing TriX or HP5+ to 800 ISO I would always use stock solution.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Tags
developer, dilution, film, id11, ilford
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies