Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th May 2020, 07:26 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F4 anyone

After the Nikon FA being faulty i bought a Nikon F4 for slide duty
I got it for a good price, it is in excellent condirtion but the only fault is the frame counter in the viewfinder
The LCD has bled only covering the frame counter but everything else is 100%, it has a frame counter on the top of the camera so no big loss
The camera works spot on
Anyone use one of these and what do you think of it, i will use it with AI and AIS MF lens
It is from a UK shop and not ebay so should work out ok
Old 16th May 2020, 07:40 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F4

Apart from my F6 it was the F4 that really impressed me with the sheer build quality and ruggedness in its construction. Unfortunately these were thrashed mercilessly by the press and a lot will have died a well earned death
Spares are very few and in some cases like the 'bleeding LCD' they are no longer available new. But get a good one and it will be a faithful friend for life.
What I liked about the one I had was the obscure real 'cable release' socket on the bottom edge of the camera body so there was no need to use the fiddly 9 pin plug. With a SB24 flash results were perfect. Make no mistake it is a heavy beast but that makes for very steady hand held shots at low speed.

At its time it was brought out after the Canon Eos 1 and it went to show how rough the Eos was when compared to the F4
Old 16th May 2020, 07:57 PM
Friend

sounds great i have the F4E ,its a workhorse of a camera ,and with everything Nikon made in there professional F range they are great to use . its auto focus can hunt a little bit but it gets there in the end and when using MF lenses it has the focus confirmation light .also it was designed by a Italian Giorgetto Giugiaro ,and i think its very beautiful camera .
Old 16th May 2020, 11:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
sounds great i have the F4E ,its a workhorse of a camera ,and with everything Nikon made in there professional F range they are great to use . its auto focus can hunt a little bit but it gets there in the end and when using MF lenses it has the focus confirmation light .also it was designed by a Italian Giorgetto Giugiaro ,and i think its very beautiful camera .
Yes it is a nice camera, i never got in to the pro side of nikon as i am happy with the FM3A/FE2/FM2 i have, plus i dont have any AF lens
Im glad it has a focus light that lets you know you are in focus with MF lens, my eyes are not as good as they used to be and need a split prism
This has a matte screen of some sort made for AF
This one has the MB20 battery pack and DP 20 finder
Will any AI/AIS lens work with the focus confirmation light as long as they are F5.6 or faster or will it only work with an aperture of 5.6 or faster, have you used a MF lens at say F8 and the green confirmation light hs worked
Im just glad there are no hidden menus and sub menus, everything is at hand and there to see
Old 17th May 2020, 06:54 AM
Friend

The F4 was probably one of my favourite 35mm cameras. Built like tank but I found it a joy to use. All the controls were/are to hand. The autofocus shows its age now but it is still a great camera.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:22 AM
Friend

Default Autofocus speed

That is really not a concern for me. I mainly do landscapes or similar and they don't moved very quickly.

One big advantage of the F4 compared to the F6 is the use of AA batteries instead of the quite expensive lithium type. My F100 is the same.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:51 AM
Friend

The Nikon F4 came yesterday
All I can say is “wow” what a camera, solid build and heavy
I can see why this could be used as a weapon if anyone tries to rob you
I will give it a clean and put a reel of provia in it later
The focus assist with MF lens is a great idea, all controls on view and no menus
This one looks like it’s been owned by someone like us and not trashed by a reporter
Old 21st May 2020, 03:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
The Nikon F4 came yesterday
All I can say is “wow” what a camera, solid build and heavy
I can see why this could be used as a weapon if anyone tries to rob you
I will give it a clean and put a reel of provia in it later
The focus assist with MF lens is a great idea, all controls on view and no menus
This one looks like it’s been owned by someone like us and not trashed by a reporter
A Reel of Provia! You must be very well off!

I'm glad you like it. They really are well built cameras. Does yours have a tiny threaded cover a little bigger than a match head on the bottom of the camera left hand side? This can be removed and a normal cable release used instead of the electronic one. It is well placed to ensure vibration free exposures. If the cover is there, don't loose it, they are no longer available

Last edited by John King; 21st May 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 21st May 2020, 08:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
A Reel of Provia! You must be very well off!

I'm glad you like it. They really are well built cameras. Does yours have a tiny threaded cover a little bigger than a match head on the bottom of the camera left hand side? This can be removed and a normal cable release used instead of the electronic one. It is well placed to ensure vibration free exposures. If the cover is there, don't loose it, they are no longer available
Nah, the one covering the cable release socket is missing, the one covering the cable sync socket is there though
The top left screen in the viewfinder has bled but the bottom screen and top right screen is spot on, the viewfinder light works spot on too
Everything works great, solid pro camera
Not bad for £99
Old 21st May 2020, 09:02 PM
Friend

Also come with an original manual and 4 AA batteries
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies