Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2013, 06:12 PM
Friend

Default Penti Sammallahti - Here, Far Away

Hello folks,

today a package was waiting for me when I drove back home from work - a beautiful book - as far as both form and content - by the late Finnish photographer Penti Sammallahti called Here, Far Away.

I have to confess that I have a soft spot for photo-books, but this one is particularly nice. Beautiful, rather heavy but very smooth paper, the images are beautifully printed with very fine and smooth tones.
The photographs are beautiful also, of course. At the first sight one might think that they are a rather odd assortment, but the more I look at them, the more I begin to understand..

You can "browse" through the book with the help of this video.

However, it seems that the English edition is no longer in stock and the prices of used pieces are rather steep. It is similar with German and French edition. But here is my advice - look for Spanish or Italian Edition - the book is the same, but for the texts.. And you can get it for a decent price new.

Hope you'll enjoy!
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:42 PM
Friend

Correction - Mr. Sammallahti is not a "late" Finnish photographer - my apologies.. This comes when one is trying to put a few sentences together after a very tiring day and an hour of "research" of various photographers...
Old 18th May 2014, 09:19 PM
Friend

I coveted this book at the time of the thread but missed out on it. Idly searching abebooks.com this evening, I found several copies claiming to be in "new" condition and ordered one of them. They are in the UK and the US; and prices range from not too bad to fairly daft.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:08 AM
Friend

My word! These comments have made me appreciate the generosity of my best friend to me even more than I already did because he gave me an English copy for my last birthday. All the images are wonderful and the photographer adds new meaning to the phrase "the decisive moment". Nothing is overlooked and missed by this brilliant photographer. You have to look at this retrospective to see what is meant by that. You can spend quite a bit of time just viewing one photograph. It takes a very long time to take the whole book in, there is so much there to explore and wonder at...

richard
Old 19th May 2014, 11:45 AM
Friend

Heh, now I'm becoming crapulous with impatience. Maybe I'd better take the Zorki for a walk.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies