Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2020, 10:42 PM
Friend

Hello John
I shall try and get the photos to appear correct way up tomorrow.
Easier to read the details then.

I had not realised until a few posts ago that the two leaflets are two different products, completely.

My record book of colour prints I made over a period of ten years all show Photocolor II used on Kodak Ektacolor 78 RC.

Photocolor II instruction sheet page one reads.....
Outfits for processing negative colour films compatible with the Kodak C41 process, and colour printing papers compatible with the Kodak EP.2 process.

The Kodak paper Ektacolor 78 RC box seal reads....Kodak Ektacolor 2 chemicals or equivalent.

The Photocolor FP instruction leaflet page one reads...…..
C41FILM RA4 PAPER CHEMISTRY
(FP stands for FILM PAPER)
Rapid Access Photochemistry
Process Kodak C41 compatible films and Kodak RA4 compatible papers with the same solutions.

I developed my C41 films in the same kit as I processed my Kodak EP2 process papers.
My prints have stood the test of time from 1982 until the present, that's 37-38 years, not bad for an amateur. So the dual use chemicals worked fine. As far as I can remember shelf life was not a problem. So why cant we have one set of chemicals that does prints and films?
Old 6th January 2020, 06:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
My prints have stood the test of time from 1982 until the present, that's 37-38 years, not bad for an amateur. So the dual use chemicals worked fine. As far as I can remember shelf life was not a problem. So why cant we have one set of chemicals that does prints and films?
I think simply it is a question of cost. The kits and individual chemicals are mostly designed for use in mini labs, so creating a smaller channel than those already in existence is not likely to be a financial success. Well not quite, there is a degree of success for the accountants.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I would not be happy with using a 'universal' kit. I am quite happy with two different solutions, each one dedicated to a particular process. Looking at B&W there are universal developers for film and papers, but without exception the quality is not as good as ones for each process. There used to be one shot developing and fixing baths for B&W but the quality was dreadful.

The same is usually said of combined bleach and fix baths for colour films, They are available but it is generally agreed that separate bleach and fixing baths are better. I have found since I stopped using them there is less variation in colour balance.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Hello John
I shall try and get the photos to appear correct way up tomorrow.
Easier to read the details then.
. . .
No worries - just click on the pop-up image and it will open itself in the window and magically turns it the right way around - at least, it does in my Firefox browser (tho I've no idea why...). You will need to use the Back button to get back to the forum.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies