Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th August 2020, 05:21 PM
Friend

I've just checked and I do have a Zenit E. Last used about 18 months ago and it was all working fine, you can have it for the cost of postage if you are interested.

Thanks
Dave
Old 15th August 2020, 06:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
I've just checked and I do have a Zenit E. Last used about 18 months ago and it was all working fine, you can have it for the cost of postage if you are interested.

Thanks
Dave

Have messaged you 🤓

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15th August 2020, 06:49 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone, I think it will have to be sadly retired to the shelf.

Old 15th August 2020, 06:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonJane View Post
Found my ancient Zenit that I last used 20 odd years ago for my degree, the shutter tension has gone and the effing screw that tightens it has sheared off on one side of the screw head (insert very bad language) is there anybody in East Kent who can help me sort this out, my usual repair places are doing the usual it’s not economic to repair, but I’m 1quite attached to this camera and really want to fix it if possible ASAP as we are moving to the far north in about six weeks and I know I won’t be able to find a repairer up there!

Jane ☹️

What part of the far north. We are not in the dark ages you know. We manage to repair things up ere. The local blacksmith is pretty good!

Seriously, depending on the size of the screw it may be possible to remove the screw with a bit of persuasion but if it is rusted in that is not an easy job

Last edited by John King; 15th August 2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 15th August 2020, 06:59 PM
Friend

Caithness, I can see Stroma, Orkneys, from the new house!

Old 15th August 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

We are pretty good here but that must rank as one of the quickest and surest solutions FADU has achieved. Less than 6 hours from start to finish

Even I learnt about the some of the workings of a Zenit E

A little story now but one that is true. A friend of mine is a keen motorcyclist and had a friend who was similar The friend had the habit of attaching his Zenit E to the back of the seat where otherwise a pillion passenger sits. The straps slipped while he was travelling at about 40mph and my friend who was riding behind saw it hit the road and bounce a couple of times into the grassy edge.

He stopped expecting it to be a write-off as all it had protecting it was its case. To his surprise when he opened the case it appeared undamaged and when he caught up with his friend who had sensed that something had happened and had stopped, his friend tried it and indeed it was undamaged.

When I was told the story I suggested his friend take the Zenit to the tank museum at Bovington where I am sure they would have confirmed that the Zenit's body is made of surplus metal from a Soviet T-34 tank

Mike
Old 15th August 2020, 07:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
We are pretty good here but that must rank as one of the quickest and surest solutions FADU has achieved. Less than 6 hours from start to finish

Even I learnt about the some of the workings of a Zenit E

A little story now but one that is true. A friend of mine is a keen motorcyclist and had a friend who was similar The friend had the habit of attaching his Zenit E to the back of the seat where otherwise a pillion passenger sits. The straps slipped while he was travelling at about 40mph and my friend who was riding behind saw it hit the road and bounce a couple of times into the grassy edge.

He stopped expecting it to be a write-off as all it had protecting it was its case. To his surprise when he opened the case it appeared undamaged and when he caught up with his friend who had sensed that something had happened and had stopped, his friend tried it and indeed it was undamaged.

When I was told the story I suggested his friend take the Zenit to the tank museum at Bovington where I am sure they would have confirmed that the Zenit's body is made of surplus metal from a Soviet T-34 tank

Mike

The Photography technician at uni dropped one out the window to see what would happen, three storeys up, onto grass, it bounced! Slight dent and scuff marks to the cover, but the Zenit was intact and still worked.

Old 15th August 2020, 07:20 PM
Friend

Default Screw Removal

To be brutally frank is this of particular sentimental value? A professional technician will charge a lot more than the camera is worth just to remove a screw.
Old 15th August 2020, 07:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
To be brutally frank is this of particular sentimental value? A professional technician will charge a lot more than the camera is worth just to remove a screw.

Yes it is the sentimental value, it survived three years of serious abuse at uni being shoved into a backpack with oil paints, brushes, linseed oil, water bottles and god knows what else, I no longer have any of the negs from films shot on this camera which is rather sad.

Old 15th August 2020, 07:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonJane View Post
Yes it is the sentimental value, it survived three years of serious abuse at uni being shoved into a backpack with oil paints, brushes, linseed oil, water bottles and god knows what else, I no longer have any of the negs from films shot on this camera which is rather sad.

Keep that one on the shelf for display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies