Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th January 2011, 09:17 PM
Friend

Default Still image v Moving image

With regard to the moving image, I often chat with lecturers of media and film and wonder how students can possibly comprehend the complexity of this media, when I have enough trouble with a single image at 1/125th. But perhaps that’s just my failing. Do other FADU members have any thoughts about this dichotomy?
Old 17th January 2011, 07:09 PM
Friend

Perhaps if you looked at the movie as a story telling purpose. A single image is a window, a single moment. With a movie, there is a narrative over a period of time, a developement (sorry) of an idea, or developement of a character. With a single image, it can say as much about you the viewer as the photographer-your reaction to it will be based on your background and philosophy. With a movie, the editor takes you on his narrative, and in his direction. Just a stream of consciousness from me-anybody else got any thoughts?
Old 17th January 2011, 07:34 PM
Friend

Wow! Jim I think you have it in a nut shell.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:22 PM
Friend

I sometimes thought that subliminal image technique was sometimes introduced into old movies. I remember watching some Fred Astaire dancing routines and wondered if some of the optimum composition frames of the dance in motion were copied and repeated for a slightly longer duration (perhaps ½ a second) to give that wonderful graphic sense to the choreography. Perhaps I’m just being cynical, or did anybody else notice this?
Old 18th January 2011, 09:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
I sometimes thought that subliminal image technique was sometimes introduced into old movies. I remember watching some Fred Astaire dancing routines and wondered if some of the optimum composition frames of the dance in motion were copied and repeated for a slightly longer duration (perhaps ½ a second) to give that wonderful graphic sense to the choreography. Perhaps I’m just being cynical, or did anybody else notice this?
There's a good fiction book on the subject of early subliminal film making called Flicker by Theodore Roszak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_(novel)
Gets a bit (well, a lot) strange at the end, but I enjoyed it when I last read it . . . about 10 years ago!
For a better novel about early film making, William Boyd's the New Confessions is very good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Confessions
Oh and Jim has totally hit it on the head
Sorry I went a bit off thread there . . .
Phil
Old 18th January 2011, 10:28 AM
Friend

A thought.<p>
Take a photograph of an object - say a telephone box. then take a movie of the same object from the same position/focal length for say 5 minutes. then display the two next to each other. Are they the same?The same thought processes go into each. The subject is the same. Once you understand the differences, perhaps it is then you can begin to exploit the differences (grasshopper.)<p>
(Is this an idea for an art installation....)
Old 18th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes View Post
A thought.<p>
Take a photograph of an object - say a telephone box. then take a movie of the same object from the same position/focal length for say 5 minutes. then display the two next to each other. Are they the same?The same thought processes go into each. The subject is the same. Once you understand the differences, perhaps it is then you can begin to exploit the differences (grasshopper.)<p>
(Is this an idea for an art installation....)
This is quite an interesting thought and would make a good art installation piece. It may be even more interesting if you could have multiples of the two pictures, like a bank of TV screens which would switch randomly on a time sequence between the two types of image.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies