Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th September 2012, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default I hereby declare this Manuals section open...

Please feel free to upload as many scanned manuals and other documentation as you can. I have a few I will be uploading over the next few days, work commitments permitting!

I have set the forum at the moment so that only logged-in users can upload and download manuals which seems fair but depending on how much bandwidth this ends up using I may open it up to all-comers.

Currently the forum is configured to allow a maximum of 2MB files. I am working on increasing that but it may take a little while as it is a hard-wired restriction and the hosting company will have to change it for us.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 18th September 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 28th September 2012, 08:30 PM
Friend

Sounds like a good idea. I've got a few i can dig out and scan. It might be worth creating a 'manuals wanted' forum for people to post stuff that they are looking for...
Old 8th October 2012, 11:08 PM
Friend

Considering the De Vere 504 manual is apx £15 at most outlets and its hard to find publicly I'd be happy to add this, however, would the forum consider access to the manual download section requiring a minimum post count before obtaining access?

I've been here before with a forum I created some years ago and the bandwidth suffered with links from other forums who's members gave no input to the source forum.

Either way I'm happy to upload but thought it worth mentioning.
Old 9th October 2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Hi Gavin.

We will keep an eye on bandwidth. At the moment any logged-in user can access the manuals section but if the bandwidth starts to get silly as we get more manuals included we can certainly consider further restrictions.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:42 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob. Its great that the photographic community can help one another in this way, but as with anything free there will be the odd urchin who could push it.
I thought you'd be onto it but wanted to say my tuppence worth.

Regards.
Old 10th October 2012, 08:04 AM
Friend

Bob, the PDF format seems to take a lot of memory. I scanned a two-page manual in jpg (150dpi) that fills appr. 700kb. when I convert it to PDF it becomes more than 2mb! This is because I don't know the technique. can you or somebody else refer me to a place where I can learn how to do?
Peter
Old 10th October 2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Hi Peter.

In the software I have used in the past, when saving the PDF you can choose which compression method to use for the finished file (or use none at all) so I guess the first thing to do is make sure you select a compressed output PDF file.

Also, I think it is better to scan in a non-lossy format such as GIF or PNG. The JPG format introduces noise and digital artefacts that can make the image look fuzzy. GIF files are usually much larger but PNG has the advantage of compressing the image to make it smaller like a JPG but uses a non-lossy algorithm so no detail is lost.

Perhaps people can suggest suitable software to convert image scans into PDFs? I use an old copy of Photoshop Express that came with my scanner but I'm sure there must be other free options out there.
Old 10th October 2012, 07:51 PM
Friend

Just a thought Peter - does your scanning software scan so the output is pdf instead of jpeg? I use Epson Scan which came with the V700 I have and I can output to pdf and have options available for compression.

Tony
Old 20th November 2012, 02:13 AM
Friend

I have found the below link to be quite helpful on a few items I've purchased.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/
Old 20th November 2012, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Yup, Butkus is a fantastic site.

We are hoping to concentrate on the kind of things Butkus does not cover such as enlargers, lenses, darkroom accessories etc.

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies