Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2013, 12:38 PM
Friend

I use a heater tray/matt that is designed for home brewers to stand gallon bottles of fermenting wine on, to speed the fermenting process up. So it is designed to cope with spilled liquids. Not an expensive item. No thermostat, but I insulate it with a folded newspaper....

Alan
Old 29th January 2013, 03:45 PM
Friend

35C is OK for RA4 printing so unless your trays are needed for colour neg sheet film developing then I'd have thought 35C is OK. Actually RA4 in some kits( Kodak for one at least) can be done at room temp of around 20C and the Tetenal film kit claims developing can be done at I think 30C

There may be good reasons why you need 40C of course but just a thought on my part

Mike
Old 29th January 2013, 05:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
At a push you could always make one! I did when I started out when I was 15 and could not afford a proper heater. I used a metal biscuit tin, a light fitting similar to those in ceiling lights and a light bulb (15w pygmy) properly earthed. If you can get a square one or preferably two, take one side out of each and join them together with metal strips and 2BA nuts and bolts to make an oblong then use 2 15w light bulbs.

I kid you not, these work and work very well and do not get over heated.
I had one of these about 45 years ago, it was given to me by an electrician friend who was giving up photography.
This one had the benefit of a thermostat from a cooker wired in, well he was a service electrician with SEEB, fitting and repairing cookers.
Peter
Old 29th January 2013, 08:44 PM
Friend

This one had the benefit of a thermostat from a cooker wired in, well he was a service electrician with SEEB, fitting and repairing cookers.

You were posh! I bet you had central heating and a bedroom all to yourself as well
Old 30th January 2013, 04:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

You were posh! I bet you had central heating and a bedroom all to yourself as well
Not at all John, I was a lot younger then and married.
Peter
Old 30th January 2013, 11:16 PM
Friend

Thanks, Alan Clark, there's a home brew shop nearby that I have had a few bits and pieces from, I'll ask them.
Regards, Mark.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:30 PM
Friend

Can I be contentious and say I've never had a need for dish warmers at all. Chemistry is at constant darkroom temps and I've never had a problem. Even developing sheet film, I mix develoer to its temperature and go from there.
But then again my darkroom is a stone-flagged 'cellar' so tends to be proper 'pub' temperature!
Phil
Old 31st January 2013, 08:16 PM
Friend

Well, Phil, yes, I manage without but I'm doing some extended print runs archiving a customers collection on fibre paper, so I tried my dishwarmer (and it failed) because it makes life easier managing the developer temperature when ambient is 15C and the bench is cold. I find fibre paper to be more temperature sensitive in developer than RC for some reason. Agree that a dishwarmer isn't necessary - and I hardly ever use one - but it can be useful at times like this when I want to process batches as consistently as I can - I won't go into wash temperatures and how I manage that.
Regards, Mark

Tags
developer temperature, dish warmer, plate, tray
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies