Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2011, 03:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
How long has the developer been in the tray since you started the first session?
From the Ilford instruction sheet:

"WORKING SOLUTION LIFE
BROMOPHEN stock solution should last for up to:-
6 months in full capped containers
3 month in a half full tightly capped container.
Working strength MULTIGRADE developer, PQ UNIVERSAL and BROMOPHEN left in an open
dish should not be kept for more than one working day. If stored in a tightly capped bottle they may last up to 24 hours.
"
Old 10th July 2011, 04:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Developer is ILFORD MULTIGRADE which I have used for 3 -4 sessions, leaving it out in the tray.
Matt,
It is always better mix developer fresh for each session, or if you don't then at the end of the session pour the mixed developer into a bottle, but it really is a false ecconmey to re use developer, it can go off really quickly and result in longer developing times and really flat prints.
Richard
Old 10th July 2011, 04:17 PM
New User

Default Thanks to everyone - answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Matt - welcome - I have a C7700 and I'm pretty certain that if the red light is showing then it's set to white light, unfiltered. (I can't get into my darkroom right now to check but I'm 99% certain.) Anyway, if you've set maximum magenta filtration the image projected onto the baseboard will be a dark magenta colour, that's a sure fire way to check the filters are working properly.

I feel very foolish as I did indeed have enlarger set to white light unfiltered. Having addressed this,contrast issue pretty much gone away (well certainly a major step forwards for a keen amateur !) Thank-you to everyone for all your kind efforts to assist me.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:34 PM
Friend

Good news . It's an easy mistake to make so don't feel foolish, I've done it myself and I expect just about everyone on this forum has at least one tale to tell about darkroom mishaps!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 10th July 2011, 06:23 PM
Friend

While the contrast is "worlds better" as I would expect, it is still worth considering whether keeping dev for 3-4 sessions is false economy.

Simple test: Do a print in the old stuff, decant it into a bottle, make up fresh and re-do the same print. Depending on what if any improvement you see, you will be able to judge if 3-4 sessions for the same dev is OK. Even if OK I'd still be inclined to dump the old stuff on this occasion and switch to the new as you have made it up anyway but at least you will know how long the old stuff lasts for the future.

Mike
Old 10th July 2011, 07:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Ref Lever, it is currently set in position whereby the red light through window on clout head (LPL C 7700) is 'on'.
Matt, Richard is right, when the red light shows there are no filters in place.

Tony

Tags
colour enlarger, contrast, problems
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies