Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th June 2020, 08:07 PM
Friend

Default Bad and misleading journalism

In 1992 the Sunday Times did a story in their Sunday magazine about a place called Northwood.
Northwood is part of a town called Kirkby near Liverpool, i grew up in Northwood and my parents still live there, Kirkby does have it,s undesirables and the likes, but the Sunday Times through photographs and misleading journalism made the place sound like Beirut to anyone who knows no better.
Like i said kirkby has some less than savoury characters like any other town, but to be cast as the worst place in Europe is insulting
I know the guy who put these parasite journalists up in his flat and they milked him for info and put their own slant on it to make it sound worse, George is the guy who is brushing his teeth in the following pictures, i found these pictures the other day on the magnum website and it brought back a bad feeling that was felt by me and the people who lived there
They didnt even bother to highlight some of the good people, places or good things that was happening
Here is a link to some of the pictures that were used by the Sunday times, a lot of them were not used but the few they used said it all
https://pro.magnumphotos.com/Catalog...-NN163542.html
Is it acceptable to slander a place unfairly, i dont think so
I thought journalism was supposed to be balanced and fair
Old 15th June 2020, 09:32 PM
Friend

I don't think you should put the words, journalism,balanced and fair in the same sentence Paddy. Especially when It concerns anything to with Liverpool.(I'm from Vauxhall, but had adolescents in Huyton) I did enjoy the photos in link though. A bit Tom Woods, If you have seen any of his work from around the Pool.
Cheers
Diz
Old 15th June 2020, 09:42 PM
Friend

I don't think you can slander a place - only a person.

If it is wrong it is misleading or at the worst ought right lies.

But there again you see it all the time in todays excuses for news papers.
Old 16th June 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

I was annoyed the way they had an agenda to make the place look like a Ghetto
I have moved to a better place now (Maghull) but still have a fondness for were i grew up
Talking of the press, when i was working in the transport section of the 2012 London olympics, i seen and heard the way they acted, they were arrogant and snotty to most people who worked there
All of them was annoyed after the opening that the transport back to the hotel was late, i understand they wanted to get back and send the pictures to the press for the next day papers but they were a law on to themselves, this foreign reporter said to me "you see what i write about you" i smiled at him and said "if it,s in a different language then i wont understand it will i" with a smug look on my face i turned my back on him to wind him up even more
Another one changed his tune when he heard my accent
I knew the press were vermin before, but after that event i now know they are scum (and still are), one woman was poked in the face by a female german reporter out of anger, to me that is assault
I dont think i could ever trust journalism again
Old 16th June 2020, 01:12 PM
Friend

Paddy your insight to the behaviour of journalists gives some understanding as to why the media has behaved so appallinly in recent times; they seem to think they are above the law of the land and the standards of decent behaviour. In their eyes the words honesty, truth and integrity have been replaced by deception, manipulation and ego seeking bigotry.
Tony
Old 16th June 2020, 02:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Paddy your insight to the behaviour of journalists gives some understanding as to why the media has behaved so appallinly in recent times; they seem to think they are above the law of the land and the standards of decent behaviour. In their eyes the words honesty, truth and integrity have been replaced by deception, manipulation and ego seeking bigotry.
Tony
Odd. That's sounds just like another profession, one that causes even more damage.
Old 16th June 2020, 03:20 PM
Friend

After witnessing the bias and lies that certain newspaper have been printing in the last few years, I cancelled all the news papers just a couple of weeks ago.
Why pay to be lied to?
The main TV channel news broadcasts have lost their way completely.
Their specialty seems to be, find a story and keep it going for as long as they can until it has been completely milked. Saves them the effort of actually going out and finding news.
One channel now has the nick name the
Biased Broadcasting Company.
What happened to all the reporters around the world sending in serious but interesting stories and information to be broadcast ?
As the press and tv can no longer be trusted I have now resorted to the internet for news. You have to sift through it until you can find an honest, reliable site, but they are there if you look for them.

For a basic proof of our rubbish press, I heard an interview with an employee of a newspaper, I think it was in Rochdale. He said for the last few months before the paper closed, he was making up stories just to fill the pages, and keep in work!
Very difficult to issue forth here and stay off politics.
Rant over. Cheers.
Old 16th June 2020, 03:20 PM
Print Exchange Manager

You cannot trust anything in the 'publc domain' nor ever could. There is always someone's agenda involved.

My mum worked for Family Planning Assoc. on Merseyside in 60's and 70's. When the queen visited Liverpool they did up the buildings along the roads she travelled but the next roads back were left as the slums they were. I wonder if she was fooled like she was supposed to be?

Mike
Old 16th June 2020, 03:25 PM
Friend

If you can, try listening to the BBC World Service to see if their reporting is of more interest.
Old 16th June 2020, 03:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Tony
I dont think i could come up with a better explanation, 100% spot on
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies