Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2020, 05:13 PM
Friend

Hi Jane and welcome to FADU.

I found your adventures with your students and pinhole cameras intersting because I occasionally use them myself. I now have 4 pinhole cameras in my collection! I wouldn't be as brave to use a cardboard box though.

Do post some pics when you have time.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th February 2020, 05:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post

I found your adventures with your students and pinhole cameras intersting because I occasionally use them myself. I now have 4 pinhole cameras in my collection! I wouldn't be as brave to use a cardboard box though.

Neil.
Will try to post some when I get back to school next week.
Old 20th February 2020, 05:23 PM
Friend

Welcome Jane, I had to look up what year 12 was

Back in my youth I was asked to teach ptography to 13/14 years old, by modern definitions I was year 12 in age range althogh that was also the year I took my A levels.

It was fun as there's something magic about the darkroom experience, I'd started ata school much younger and even today that magic remains 50+ years later . . . . . . . . . .

Keep up the good work and maybe some of the equipment being offered free here could go your way.

Ian
Old 20th February 2020, 05:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Welcome Jane, I had to look up what year 12 was

Back in my youth I was asked to teach ptography to 13/14 years old, by modern definitions I was year 12 in age range althogh that was also the year I took my A levels.

It was fun as there's something magic about the darkroom experience, I'd started ata school much younger and even today that magic remains 50+ years later . . . . . . . . . .

Keep up the good work and maybe some of the equipment being offered free here could go your way.

Ian
Ooh! Year 9, you have my sympathy, I managed to bribe two of my sixth formers with chocolate into supervising them in the darkroom, it’s like trying to herd cats!
Old 20th February 2020, 06:16 PM
Friend

Hi Jane,
Welcome to FADU & love your stories. Never knew that school could be fun. ;-)
Frank
Old 20th February 2020, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonJane View Post
Yes we have a darkroom, although when I arrived it was used as a storage room for the past couple of years, pretty much most of my budget has been spent on getting it up and running again,although two of the three enlargers don’t work as no lenses and I can’t afford to replace them as it was more important to get the pupils enthusiastic about working with film, They now consider digital to be passé, I’m winning so far!
What lenses do you require, I may have a 50mm I could send you for free. I will have a look in my darkroom tonight.
Old 20th February 2020, 06:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
What lenses do you require, I may have a 50mm I could send you for free. I will have a look in my darkroom tonight.
Thank you so much, we have Paterson enlargers and yes a 50mm would be much appreciated.
Old 20th February 2020, 06:48 PM
Friend

Would year 9 be safe in a darkroom? I did Photography A level, but that was at an FE college and they seemed to have some kind of budget because new equipment would appear periodically. Although I do seem to remember some of the chemistry was rather over-used compared to what I'd now consider okay. Think I still have my first print, probably stuck into one of the 'journals' we made.
Old 20th February 2020, 06:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
Would year 9 be safe in a darkroom? I did Photography A level, but that was at an FE college and they seemed to have some kind of budget because new equipment would appear periodically. Although I do seem to remember some of the chemistry was rather over-used compared to what I'd now consider okay. Think I still have my first print, probably stuck into one of the 'journals' we made.

As an after school club and a one off they were fine, this was to encourage them to choose Photography in their options for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20th February 2020, 07:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post

Neil.

This is the teeny weeny tin pinhole camera and test print

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies