Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2014, 02:18 PM
Friend

Default USA Roadtrip/Vacation - NYC, SF, Vegas

Hiya, does anyone have any tips regarding anything photographic that would be good to know about before I pop over the pond? i.e. best stores for buying film? Galleries in NYC, SF or Vegas? Ansel Adams in Yosemite? Second-hand equip stores?

Any hints, tips, ideas, suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks, Simon
Old 15th September 2014, 02:44 PM
Friend

never been so I have no personal personal experience but http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is one to be visited if just for the experience. Hope you're not prone to GAS attacks or you might find your wallet empties faster than you planned.

p.s. If you're bringing back presents I'd like one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Table_Top.html

Last edited by Argentum; 15th September 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 15th September 2014, 05:40 PM
Friend

Simon you jammy person you , what a trip that will be ,pop down to the library and take out a dvd called easy rider .. oh and take a camera that's my tips..... and have fun

www.essexcockney.com
Old 18th September 2014, 03:32 PM
Friend

Since you'll be in NYC, B&H and Adorama are certainly good spots to hit for used gear and film-related things.

Doesn't look like you will, but if you should happen to find yourself anywhere near Hollywood when you're over on the left coast, Freestyle Photographic have a retail store there and cater well to us film/darkroom types (and also alt process stuff).

KEH Camera in Smyrna, Georgia are one of the better sources for used gear (though it doesn't sound like you'll be anywhere near it either).

I should say I've never been to any of those places in person, but I've ordered stuff from all of them. I could see very easily spending a ton of money in any of them given half a chance!
Old 18th September 2014, 06:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNOTTS View Post
Hiya, does anyone have any tips regarding anything photographic that would be good to know about before I pop over the pond? i.e. best stores for buying film? Galleries in NYC, SF or Vegas? Ansel Adams in Yosemite? Second-hand equip stores?

Any hints, tips, ideas, suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks, Simon
Simon,

I've spent a lot of time in New York and would recommend the following places:-

Galleries;
International Centre of Photography
1133 Avenue of the Americas tel 857 0000

Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53rd Street

Howard Greenberg
41 East 57th Street

There are many Photographic Galleries in New York. Get a Time Out magazine for a listing or Google photo galleries New York and you'll find loads of them. I seem to remember they are in the Soho area of New York

Photo Stores

B&H are by far the largest and you will get just about everything that you need there.

Adorama are popular too but I had a very bad experience with them some years ago whern I purchased several hundred dollars of Fuji 5 x 4 colour neg film from them. I brought it back home packed in my carry on bag with all my unused and exposed film which all went through the xray at the airport together. I shop some as soon as I got home and found what I thought was fogging. Because I worked in the photo industry and knew many people in various companies I spoke to the tech people at Fuji who examined both exposed and unexposed film I'd purchased. They said it was not fogging and that it was probably grey film that had been improperly stored. I was lucky because Fuji replaced the lot with brand new film. I also have a friend in Ireland who purchased a S/H spot meter from them but when my friend received it the meter did not work. Adorama refused to do anything about it. Needless to say I never used Adorama again.

Sadly, the best photography shop in New York was Lens and Repro who sold a well established business to Calumet two years ago, we all know what happened to Calumet America a few months ago.

While you are in New York you should have a bite to eat at Katz, a Diner at 205 East Huston Street. You may remember the film "When Harry met Sally" when Sally sat at the table and acted out the verbals of an orgasm, it was in Katz. The last time I was there a big Arrow Sign pointed down at the table. The food is great.

If you are in San Francisco you really should drive down the highway that runs alongside Big Sur. PM me and I'll tell you of some interesting spots

have a great time
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies