Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd July 2018, 12:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Terry your link seems to take me to a kit which is £19.29 so more expensive than Protectan and with a £17.50 delivery cost

My wine bags cost less. Of course on the minus side, I have to drain the bags of wine which is a dirty job but someone's got to do it.

Mike
Without rereading the whole thread again Mike, I only put the link up as a comparison, as people were suggesting using different gases, including in this case 'argon gas'.

My end conclusion was that there were too many other negatives for me to buy it and I was going to stick with the 'protectan' (or what ever it's proper name is). The only downside with 'protectan' is that one can't tell how much is left in it, as it weights so very little. But, I've been using the same can for years and use it regularly and it's still working, so it still gets my vote!

Terry S
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:47 PM
Friend

Just typing this as there should be a post today before mine and it's not showing here.
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:35 PM
Administrator

All you need is the gas bottle, a regulator that screws in to the bottle so you can get the gas out, and a short length of 4mm tubing. After that the only cost is additional gas bottles when they run out.

The only real advantage the argon has in our use is that it is 100% inert at any temperature whereas butane can get rather frisky in the presence of too much heat...

But for sure, the Protectan is still way simpler and easier to use - if absurdly expensive for what it is.

Hmmm - if you could fit the pushbutton from a can of Protectan on a normal £2 can of butane which comes with the little plastic adaptors, that would probably give the best bang-per-buck.
Old 25th October 2018, 12:07 PM
Friend

Default My years old tin of Protectan Spray has finally died on me... :(

Ho hum, the time has finally arrived. My years old can of Protectan has finally come to an end...

Looking at the price of a new can, shows that it hasn't risen that much over time. But, it still grieves me to pay so much for something that I expect to have cost so little to make.

Rechecking the 'ingredients' on the empty tin last night, it reminded me that it does seem to only contain basically 'lighter fuel' gases.

And as Pete says below, I too am very tempted to try using a 'pound-land shop' of lighter fuel, which gives us an idea of the markup Tetenal are getting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
I use 'Butane Gas' bought in Poundland for £ 1 -00 much CHEAPER than the Tetenal. It is a 'refill' -- I have to use some small needle nose pliers to pull on the red plastic tube though to get some out into bottles.
But ho, hum, for the overall convenience I suppose I will have to bite my tongue as I order another tin of Tetenal's stuff. On the brighter side, it has lasted me years, so if cost is divided by years, it would equal a small amount of money per usage, I suppose or am I just trying to convince myself here???...

On receipt this time around, I will put the date of arrival and the cost etc. on the tin, so that I can see how much I'm squeezed for, the next time I have to purchase once more.

And finally, with such a good mark up on the manufacturing cost, I am surprised that some other company hasn't got in on the act? Or maybe they have and I haven't found them? Anyone know any different?

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 25th October 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 26th November 2018, 08:43 AM
Friend

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidderJem View Post
Just thinking about storing chemicals - never a great fan of the concertina bottles for some reason. <snipped>
There's a lot to be said for plastic pop bottles, IMO. They're cheap and come filled with pop when bought new. If one doesn't want pop, one can usually find some empty plastic pop bottles on the streets, especially on bin collection days!

I squeeze out the air and reseal tightly. Most brands with airtight caps work well, though they're not all made equal; it's best to check before depending on them.

Earlier this year I used some ID-11 stock I'd stored in a 500ml pop bottle since 2013. The stock was fresh as a daisy, and even the 1:3 working solution keeps well. So yay for plastic pop bottles.

Having said that, I live in a child-and-vulnerable-adult-free household.
Old 26th November 2018, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsNorthants View Post
There's a lot to be said for plastic pop bottles, IMO. They're cheap and come filled with pop when bought new. If one doesn't want pop, one can usually find some empty plastic pop bottles on the streets, especially on bin collection days!

I squeeze out the air and reseal tightly. Most brands with airtight caps work well, though they're not all made equal; it's best to check before depending on them.

Earlier this year I used some ID-11 stock I'd stored in a 500ml pop bottle since 2013. The stock was fresh as a daisy, and even the 1:3 working solution keeps well. So yay for plastic pop bottles.

Having said that, I live in a child-and-vulnerable-adult-free household.
Same here, tho' mine was only 2 years old, stored in a 2l cola bottle in a cupboard to keep the dark in. Squeezed until no air left and sealed. I chose a fizzy-pop bottle on the grounds that if it keeps the CO2 in, it should keep the O2 out.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 26th November 2018, 02:01 PM
Friend

Stating the obvious here but the only problem with plastic bottles is that you cannot squeeze all the liquid out whereas with winebags they empty leaving about a dessertspoonful at the most.

Bottles are fine of course if the size used is the same as the amount needed so its a full or empty scenario or if the big bottle once squeezed has its remnants decanted into smaller bottles

Mike
Old 26th November 2018, 03:59 PM
Administrator

You are right of course Mike that is their major advantage, but I just found winebags too fussy - not being able to see the liquid in the ones I have (white) left me unsure if I had got all the air out. I found it simpler to use clear plastic fizzy-pop bottles and fill with gas when I can no longer squeeze them enough to remove the air.

Each to their own of course - it's interesting how many solutions there are to the same problems we all have!

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies