Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th August 2010, 10:09 AM
Friend

Default peak district

My wife and I have booked a holiday cottage not too far from Padley Gorge (near Great Hucklow) and we are off there for a week starting next Friday. This will be the first holiday without any children so I might possibly get more photographic time than usual.

I note the earlier thread about Padley Gorge and will certainly go there but are there any other suggestions re photogenic walks/locations in the White Peak area?

Les
Old 13th August 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

Try places like Winnats Pass, Mam Tor/Hollins cross etc, Water-cum-Jolly dale, Peter's stone (top end of ravensdale), Monsal Head, Theres also a hidden waterfall near Foolow.

For a bit further afield there's also Kinder (woolpacks), Alport castles, and all of the eastern edges which can be pretty nice at the moment with the heather flowering (derwent, stanage, burbage valley, higgar, froggatt, curbar, baslow). Obviously you'd have to be shooting colour to make the most of the heather! If you drive west/south you could check out the Roaches, dovedale, manifold valley etc.

P.S. From Great Hucklow i wouldn't go out of your way to go to padley gorge specifically - unless its early or late (or crap weather) it'll be swamped with schoolkids and chavs having BBQs etc, at least at the top end of the valley.

Last edited by DaveP; 13th August 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 13th August 2010, 04:27 PM
Friend

Les,
I second Dave's suggestion that you try the Roaches, and also Bearstone rocks at the opposite end of the Roaches ridge. Also Baldstone Rocks and Ramshaw rocks, both nearby.

Alan
Old 18th September 2010, 07:35 AM
Friend

So Les, how did you get on?
Old 18th September 2010, 08:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
So Les, how did you get on?
May be they liked it so much that they stayed!
Old 18th September 2010, 10:40 AM
Friend

I can't blame 'em!
Old 18th September 2010, 12:34 PM
Friend

I should have reported back earlier and in fact I have just this morning been printing some of the negatives. The answer is we absolutely love the place!
We went to Castleton & Mam Tor, the Monsal Vale,the Magpie mine, Peters Rock, Deepdale and Haddon Hall. The highlight for me was walking along the Roaches then down into Luds church. Up in Newcastle we are close to the North Pennines (I consider the Pennines to end at Hadrians Wall!) so it was very interesting to be at the Southern end for the first time. It was very windy at times but we got some decent light and I am fairly happy with the prints so far.
When I have sorted out how to scan prints properly I intend to share them with you. Would I go again-you bet!

Les
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies