Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2012, 03:23 PM
Friend

I'll quite happily admit to buying one many moons ago and I too have got some quite good pictures out of them too. it's really down to if you like the vignetted and slightly out of focus edges. Which, by the way can look really good on the right subject!

And thanks Niall for the links. It's always a good feeling to find another photographer whose work does something to you. I really do like some of his work, having had a quick browse, especially the colouration that he has done to quite a lot of the prints. Must research more!

Terry S
Old 25th April 2012, 03:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cocker View Post
I was in The Real Camera Company in Manchester last week talking to the owner Jem Kime and he was very firmly of the opinion that the Holga craze had got many young people into film photography and they were now buying "proper" cameras so perhaps it's not something to sneer at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree too, it's made film desirable to a generation that could of easily passed it by completely. I don't own a Holga or want one but that sneering sales blurb is not funny at all, just ignorant and narrow minded in my humble opinion.

Last edited by JohnB; 25th April 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:54 PM
Friend

Hey you lot! Get out there with a holga and have some fun.

Sorry, these are scans, but I think will give you an idea what sort of shots fall naturally to these cameras.

Also, when you are getting a holga, grab yourself an Instax...

Last edited by Dave miller; 8th May 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Please read rules and recent posts about scans.
Old 9th May 2012, 04:04 PM
Friend

I think that anything that encourages the continued use of film can only be good. The reality, however, is that there will be an awful lot of unused Holgas and similar in a year or so. Unless you process and print your own material, it becomes quite expensive. What annoys me about these 'toy cameras' is the price. I couldn't believe the prices quoted for what are essentially poor quality products. Anyone interested in trying film would be better investing in one of the thousands of recent vintage film cameras cast off in favour of digital. The top quality images these cameras are capable of can be altered creatively to achieve a huge range of effects. There are also good bargains to be had in medium format, now that digital is making advances there.
Old 9th May 2012, 06:12 PM
Friend

I went through a "holga" phase from 2008-2010 and it converted me from digital to using film. I went back to digital again and am now back to using film again but this time with better quality equipment - a Nikon FM2.
I've actually got 2 Holgas collecting dust but it appears they actually get reasonable prices so will probably sell them. I even have quite a few rolls of 120 film in my fridge so will either sell that as well or perhaps get a "real" 120 camera to use it with
Old 9th May 2012, 10:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliston View Post
I went through a "holga" phase from 2008-2010 and it converted me from digital to using film. I went back to digital again and am now back to using film again but this time with better quality equipment - a Nikon FM2.
I've actually got 2 Holgas collecting dust but it appears they actually get reasonable prices so will probably sell them. I even have quite a few rolls of 120 film in my fridge so will either sell that as well or perhaps get a "real" 120 camera to use it with
The FM2 is an excellent camera, not unlike the FE that I use. I would recomend a TLR like a Rollei or Yashica if you want to make good use of your 120 stock.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:28 AM
Friend

Heres my tuppence worth.

I do not own (or plan to own) a Holga, but surely it does not matter, what a person uses to shoot film, as long as they enjoy taking the pictures and the results they get. The point is that they are using film.

I was alway told that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so if my great shot is not to the liking of someone else, so be it. I took it, I developed it, I like it.

Art is always open to interperatation, ask twenty people what they see in a piece of art, get twenty different answers.

Lomo is a bit like modern art, not for me, but enjoyed by many others.

Ian
Old 22nd December 2013, 08:41 PM
Friend

I am a terrible snob about the expensive gourmet coffee beans I purchase, not about cameras. If comic books (graphic novels) get kids to reading rather than staring all day at the Boob Tube, I am for them.
The more folks taking photos with film, the better. I'd hate to have to make my own film, which I would do if needed.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
I still don't "get" the toy camera thing.
I don't get the prescriptive Lomography thing, i.e. "Thou shalt only use 35mm in a 120 Holga and have it cross-processed", etc. (See Alfred Klomp - http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/lomography/- for more on this.)

Using toy or simple cameras how you want to use them, however, is fun.

Not only that, the kind of "Ur" photography done with the simplest of cameras makes you do all the work and can sharpen your skills.

Happy new year.
Old 30th December 2013, 06:52 PM
Friend

I've never really warmed to the toy camera for my own general use, but have seen plenty of photos made with them which I liked a great deal. Sometimes they're fun to take for a spin and I've even made a couple of photos I'm happy with (though I typically look at them and think "if only I'd had the F-1 or TLR with me...)

I don't mind what someone else shoots film with, just as long as they are shooting film, happy with the results, and it's recognized that film itself is not at all a random, lo-fi medium unless you deliberately treat it that way.

I've had seriously mixed feelings about Lomography because of the whole "shoot from the hip, don't focus, don't meter, use random old expired film, cross process it and see what you end up with" mentality. For every one person who finds their muse doing just that or uses it as a stepping stone into shooting film in much better cameras, I salute them, but wonder how many others tried it, got terrible results and decided film was sucky and expensive and only for pretentious hipsters. Then again, would those people have even given film a fair try in the first place?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies