Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2016, 02:41 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Default Demise of Prescysol.

I don't know if anybody else on FADU is aware but from another forum I see that Peter Hogan, a FADU Member but has not been active since March 2011, has shut up his shop. He is quoting high chemical prices and low volume of sales for the closure.

He has a statement on his site here http://www.monochromephotography.com/section830451.html

A loss to this who have come to rely on his developers.

Bill
Old 28th September 2016, 03:13 PM
Friend

Prescysol is actually Pyrocat HD which is available and easy to mix yourself. The original Prescysol instructions were ifdential to Sandy King's Pyrocat HD

Many more of us use Pyrocat HD and it also keeps better, a friend in Turkey used Prescysol (which he bought on trips back to the UK) and found it kept badly due to the use of inadequate bottles.

I'll happily make up Pyrocat for people, my background is as a photochermist.

Ian
Old 28th September 2016, 04:30 PM
Friend

Always sad to see a small supplier disappear. He had a "niche" site which I have used on a couple of occasions only( and there's the rub) for stuff that I would have been either nervous of making up for myself or didn't consider the cost of materials justified the return compared to Peter's prices.

Mike
Old 28th September 2016, 05:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
I'll happily make up Pyrocat for people, my background is as a photochermist.
I would be very interested to take up this generious offer. Would it be mixed with Glycol? Would you be able to get the chemicals and obviously we would need to sort the payment.

Tony
Old 28th September 2016, 05:54 PM
Friend

Tony, I can make it up in Glycol but the reality is Part A lasts over 3 years with out it if the Metabisulphite is fresh and the right bottles are used. That's based on 12 years of using Pyrocat HD and having stock in the UK & Turkey. Glycol adds very significantly to the cost.

Chemicals aren't the problem I have quite large stocks of many photo chemicals. I need to look into the economics, and source decent bottles & packaging, it's something I've looked into in the past.

Ian
Old 28th September 2016, 07:40 PM
Friend

Hi Ian, three years should be more than enough. I will be guided by you, whatever you recommend. It all sounds good.

Many thanks,
Tony
Old 28th September 2016, 08:52 PM
Friend

Tony, I've been making up many developers, toners etc for around 40 years and make things like print developers to match many commercial formulae. I used to buy a lot of chemicals in bulk Borax 4 metric tonnes at a time afew times a year, significant amounts of carbonates sulphites including metabisulphite, hydroxide and varipus acids so know how to buy in bulk and the suppliers.

I'd probably not want to deal with the smaller sizes Hogan used to sell as it's not economic for the buyer, i'd guess 500ml minimum for something like Pyrocat HD Pt A, but as it keeps better than his Prescysol that's not really an issue.

I had a website and online store ready to do this a few years ago but family issues and lack of space put paid to the idea although there was demand.

Ian
Old 29th September 2016, 07:49 AM
Friend

I too would be very interested Ian.
Steve
Old 29th September 2016, 03:57 PM
Friend

I would also be interested. I notice that Linhoff & Studio are handling Bergger materials and list Bergger PMK on their web site, apparently this is manufactured in Germany. I have purchased some today so that I can run a direct comparison with the last of my Prescysol.
Old 29th September 2016, 04:29 PM
Friend

OK, I'll get working on the new website. It's going to happen for other reasons anyway as I offer repair and restoration services for some pre-WWII cameras (wood & brass) as well as restoring/repairing Thornton Pickard roller blind shutters, make new GG screens etc. Adding chemistry was always planned.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies