Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th December 2018, 12:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
hi terry the prints were soaking with fixer I just rinsed them to remove the surface fixer so would they need to be fixed again ,and what it says on the instructions that once you have used it ,it says wash thoroughly ,it does not mention anything about re fixing it .
Hi Paul,

I have finally got around to re-reading up on your question and as I thought, it is stated that after initial fixing, the print should be washed. Farmers Reducer should then be used carefully until the result required is gotten. Another quick wash followed by a further full fix IS required before washing fully again.

From a couple of posts that I've read, if one DOESN'T re-fix, the chances are high that the print will stain where the FR was used, some time /months later.

So unless anyone can correct any of the points I've just made, I will stick with what I've said.

Terry S
Old 15th December 2018, 02:19 PM
Friend

hi Terry as far as I know potassium ferricyanide attacks the silver and sodium thiosulphate fixes it so you can mix both together and just use a wash ,or mix them separately and use one after the other then wash ,as Barry has said ...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies