Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th March 2011, 07:39 PM
Friend

Default Peachy-Pink

I have recently photographed a really old bridge (circa-1624).
I shot midday, with a 'Zeiss Ikon Nettar' - 6x6 without filter, using Ilford Delta400 @ 400. I developed in Pyrocat HD and, as a 'test-development', I used 2:2:550 dilution in a '1 hour stand' (constant agitation for first minute, then stood for the hour, untouched).
This being my first development using this developer, I was anxious to see the result on the negatives, which, on initial inspection looked quite good (I think).
I will soon be setting about the printing and, after the pleasantly surprising effect of the developer on the negatives (a kind of 'browny' stain), I was struck by the idea of toning this particular subject, to this Peachy-Pink tone that I have read others comment on.
I have access to Selenium toner already, and delivery of a Sepia and a Gold toner is just days away. I will be using FB Warmtone paper.

I am looking for advice on how much more or less exposure I should give to the print before putting it through the toning process, in order to compensate for any darkening or lightening effects that the process will cause ?
And should I calculate my 'dry-down factor' as I would normally for an un-toned print on the same paper ?
Also, what is the 'correct order' of application of Selenium, Sepia, and Gold 'treatment', in order to achieve the best Peachy-Pink tone ?
I'll post the resulting print to the Gallery, although I'm not sure if any subtleties will show in the print scan.

I hope my questions don't sound too dumb, but it is my first foray into Pyro, and Toning.

Any help or advice on any of these points will be welcome.

Thanks
JP
Old 26th March 2011, 08:14 AM
Friend

I find toning an enjoyable adjunct to basic printing, I recommend that you experiment with just one toner to start with and learn it's characteristics. It is very easy to contaminate and destroy gold toner so I would leave that until you have completely mastered the washing, fixing and toning techniques with either Sepia or Selenium toners. I recommend that you spend the price of a bottle of Gold toner on Tim Rudman's toning book and enjoy a good read.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:18 AM
Friend

I echo what Dave has said, experiment with one toner, get to know what it will do, move on and try another toner, when you know what they will do then try split toning, be carefull with the very expensive gold toner, and get a copy of Tim Rudmans book,Richard
Old 26th March 2011, 07:51 PM
Friend

Split toning with sepia then gold turns the sepia pink then red the longer you leave it in the gold. This may be what you are looking for.

Tony
Old 26th March 2011, 09:30 PM
Friend

Thanks for the replies guys....

I went back to RK Photographic's site, which is where I ordered the toners from, and the product description addresses most of my uncertainties.

I'll certainly look into buying the Tim Rudman book if I get keen on toning. Everyone seems to recommend it.

I can't wait to get started now....hopefully, I'll have an example in the gallery for criticism, within a week.

Fingers crossed !!

JP
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies