Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th April 2015, 11:37 AM
Friend

Default Printing

An old bogie has come back to haunt me I can get around it but that is not what I want. After all the years I have been printing you would think I would have the answer but.........

For the past few months I have been printing quite happily using the standard glassless neg carrier for my LPL 6700. I had to change the bulb a couple of days ago and I now cannot stop the negative 'popping' no matter how flat the negative is before placing in the enlarger.

I have enjoyed virtually dust free prints before the bulb change, but with the glass carrier they act like a dust magnet. I have tried antistatic sprays but with little or no effect.
Old 27th April 2015, 01:00 PM
Friend

I always use glassless negative carriers, and I find that yes, sometimes you get a negative popping, but I check the focus with a grain focuser after all the preparetions with my Analyser pro, the MG filter in place etc, just before I make the final exposure and very often the focus has shifted, so I re focus and that works fine for me, Another answer is to use just a glass on the top of the negative, that cuts down on the risk of dust spots from the glass by half
Richard
Old 27th April 2015, 01:36 PM
Friend

my dursts have a glass UV filter infront of the lens. This also absorbs a lot of heat but the design of the nelarger means the negative is so far away from the bulb that heat shouldn't be a problem.

All I can suggest is lower power bulb or put a piece of glasss somewhere in the lightpath between the bulb and negative.

AN glass on top of negative may help but I don't like using it.
Old 27th April 2015, 02:03 PM
Friend

Sorry Guy's, the suggestions above, I have all tried before and they are not practicable. The neg carrier cannot take a piece of glass above the film due to the design of the carrier.

Also with long exposures using different filtration for different parts the focus does shift, it didn't use to only since I changed this bulb.

Talking of bulbs I don't know of a lower wattage output that would fit the LPL. (100W12v A1/231) with the normal 2 pin connection that would place it in the correct plane. I don't think that is the answer though
Old 27th April 2015, 02:59 PM
Friend

May we assume that you have tried a second new lamp and that when you do the problem remains?
Old 27th April 2015, 03:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave miller View Post
May we assume that you have tried a second new lamp and that when you do the problem remains?
Yes. The variable here is the new lamp. Something is different about the new lamp. It must be hotter than the old one. The question is "should" it be hotter, or is something wrong?
Old 27th April 2015, 04:35 PM
Friend

It may be hotter but it is the correct bulb for the enlarger. The old one was perhaps 10 years old and was probably down on output (and gave out less heat).

I have another spare which I will try this evening when I plan to do some more printing.
Old 27th April 2015, 04:36 PM
Friend

John,
Not sure how you you can get the negative popping with your enlarger with the recomended 100w lamp as its not a hot setup. It could be a mechanical problem where the carrier not being held tight enough, try putting a few layers of masking tape on top of the carrier around the aperture. It will help.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 27th April 2015, 04:59 PM
Friend

I use a glass carrier with all my 120 format neg's. Up until last year I used to have a lot of trouble with dust on the glass. Just by chance I was so fed up with it I took the glass out and gave them a good wash in cold water. Then patted them dry with a towel. To my surprise they were dust free and remained so for the whole print session. Now before each session I run them under the cold tap.

before i do this I wash my hand with cold water and earth myself to get ride of any static i have built up. By doing this you stop your self transferring charge and attracting dust.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 27th April 2015, 08:16 PM
Friend

Default Work in Progress

I have changed the bulb again for my spare and there is no difference when using the glassless carrier.

However I have tried to clean the glass with spectacle spray bought from Boots Opticians. It is supposed to have antistatic properties and appears to be water and Isopropyl alcohol but heaven knows how this is antistatic, but it has partially worked. Not nearly so much dust as before using the glass carrier.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies