Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th June 2020, 04:05 PM
Friend

Default Warm tone RC recommendations?

What it says on the tin really. I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for RC warm tone papers please? I am using a collection of odds and sods of paper given to me when someone closed their darkroom recently. Amongst it was a few sheets of Ilford FP warm tone paper and amongst the box of bottles was some warm tone developer. I printed a couple last night and really like the effect and wondered if there was a RC warm tone paper that FADU members would recommend?
Old 8th June 2020, 07:33 PM
Friend

Ilford made, and I think still do, an RC version of their Warmtone paper. Have a look at the Harman site, or the sponsors who stock paper to see if it’s still available.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8th June 2020, 07:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Ilford made, and I think still do, an RC version of their Warmtone paper. Have a look at the Harman site, or the sponsors who stock paper to see if it’s still available.
Alex

They do still sell it Alex, have you or any others tried it? Thanks.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:04 PM
Friend

I have tried it, and I think I still have a box of 9x12” in stock. I haven’t used enough of it, or recently to give a detailed opinion, but I did like it. You need to use a warm tone developer to get the best from it. Ilford made one (I think you have some) but I don’t know if that is still available. There was an Agfa warmtone developer called Neutol WA which I used years ago. I’m sure Adox, or one of the other European companies make a version of it. The warmtone prints I have made recently have been with Foma FB paper, developed normally, but then toned to bring out the warmth.
Alex

Old 8th June 2020, 08:24 PM
Friend

the Ilford MGRC Warmtone paper is indeed a lovely paper, I have used both the RC and FB versions, also the Foma warmtone,, Fomatone classic, which is possibly the warmest of all the warmtone papers, in FB, My developer of choice for WT paper is the Fotospeed EWT 10, which I use at 1-19, which gives a very warm tone, it even gives standard MG Classic a slightly warm tone, and makes the Adox classic, the remake of Agfa MG paper, a warmth, sadly at the moment Adox are not making the MCC paper, al=so, if you like powder developer then Bromephen from Ilford will give even a neutral paper a slight warm tone, ands WT paper is very warm in it, Another paper in RC worth a mention is Fotospeed's own paper, which in WT10, is fairly warm
Richard
Old 12th June 2020, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
. . . There was an Agfa warmtone developer called Neutol WA which I used years ago. I’m sure Adox, or one of the other European companies make a version of it. . . .
Alex
You are right Alex, Adox now supply Neutol WA (and NE). They claim that NE is made to the original Agfa formula but do not make the same claim for WA in their adverts so I'm not sure if it is the same as the original or not. In any event, the WA is my warmtone developer of choice, as was the original Agfa Neutol WA.

Last edited by Bob; 12th June 2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12th June 2020, 03:59 PM
Friend

That’s a very useful range of replies, thank you. I’ve just purchased some Ilford MGRC warmtone paper. I have some Warmtone developer here but will look at your other suggestions for my next purchase

Thank you all
Old 12th June 2020, 04:14 PM
Friend

Dave the Ilford warmtone paper plus WT developer may be all you want in terms of warmth but if you are looking for something that really looks brown then keep an eye open for the Adox revival of Polywarmtone which reputedly is being made to replicate Polywarmtone

Ian Grant posted some shots of a preserved railway setting including the inside of an old Royal Mail sorting carriage which were printed on Polywarmtone and to my eye it really does have the kind of warmth that I associated with warmtone

It won't be cheap however

Mike
Old 12th June 2020, 04:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Dave the Ilford warmtone paper plus WT developer may be all you want in terms of warmth but if you are looking for something that really looks brown then keep an eye open for the Adox revival of Polywarmtone which reputedly is being made to replicate Polywarmtone

Ian Grant posted some shots of a preserved railway setting including the inside of an old Royal Mail sorting carriage which were printed on Polywarmtone and to my eye it really does have the kind of warmth that I associated with warmtone

It won't be cheap however

Mike
Will do - thanks Mike!
Old 30th September 2021, 08:37 PM
Friend

I like the glossy multigrade warmtone RC for some subjects. Try it yourself and see if you like it too. It's a nice paper.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies