Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th December 2016, 04:47 PM
Friend

Default Current Foma Papers for Bromoils

There has been some discussion on FADU about certain current Foma papers and their suitability for making Bromoils. A recent emulsion change appears to have caused some Bromoil workers issues - including me. It seems if you have old stock (say over 12 months) you should be OK but if not you will probably run into frustrating inking problems.

I have recently found this interesting American item on net that may be helpful to anyone using Foma for Bromoils.

https://bromoilpapers.wordpress.com/tag/foma/

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th May 2017, 06:33 PM
Friend

Foma have released a paper for Bromoil which they name
Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO. The 'BO' denotes suitable for Bromoils.
It has been tried by a couple of members on APUG who give positive comments.

I should have said that it only seems to be available direct from Foma

https://fomaobchod.cz/cernobilefotop...omoilprinting/

I saw that there was some 10x8 a couple of weeks ago which I was going to try but it went quickly, so perhaps if you want to try, get in quickly!

Last edited by colinH; 11th May 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the information
Old 11th May 2017, 08:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinH View Post
Foma have released a paper for Bromoil which they name
Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO. The 'BO' denotes suitable for Bromoils.
It has been tried by a couple of members on APUG who give positive comments.

I should have said that it only seems to be available direct from Foma

https://fomaobchod.cz/cernobilefotop...omoilprinting/

I saw that there was some 10x8 a couple of weeks ago which I was going to try but it went quickly, so perhaps if you want to try, get in quickly!

Colin,
Thanks for the link. This is interesting so I have emailed them to see if they are sending it to a UK distributor. I suspect if it comes to the UK Process Supplies would be most likely to have it first (or be able to get some in).

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 12th May 2017, 03:37 PM
Friend

I've already ordered from them and my parcel is on its way - no probs!
Old 12th May 2017, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinH View Post
I've already ordered from them and my parcel is on its way - no probs!

Thanks Colin - I'll spread the word out to the Bromoil Circle.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th May 2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Neil,

Speak to Martin Reed, he is the UK Foma importer.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Neil,

Speak to Martin Reed, he is the UK Foma importer.

Barry,

I have emailed Martin and he is looking into the situation. Process Supplies have stock of the old 123 that Bromoils, but are awaiting the BO 123. Both options are in limited supply (currently old 123 from PS and new BO from Foma).

However, it is not sure if the new BO is the same as the previous 123 emulsion that did Bromoil. Martin is trying to establish this from Foma.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th June 2017, 02:15 PM
Friend

I am new to bromoils having only started earlier in the year - I had never seen one before I started so went in 'blind'.
Having read what I could online it seemed that Foma 123 was the favoured paper and - from what I read - it was about to be discontinued and so I bought 3 packs of 91/2 x 12. I tried it and had no success whatever, thought it was me but soon found that I had purchased the NEW 123 paper which others found was not suitable for bromoil. I then purchased 112 and had good success - again not being able to compare it to anything was not sure how good my prints were.
I then saw on APUG that the Foma had made a specific 123 BO paper, again it appeared to be selling quickly so have purchased some packs but as I won't be doing any until later in the year cannot say how I might find it compares with the older 123 - or indeed against the 112.
The reason for all this is to suggest that the 123 BO is indeed different to the older plain numbered 123 paper.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:19 PM
Friend

Colin,

Thanks for the update. It is certainly good news if the BO paper is here to stay, but from what I've heard the present supply is limited and there is a need to get in quick.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies