Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th January 2011, 12:23 PM
Friend

Default Rollei RPX 100 and 400

I do apologize if I've missed a discussion on these films. I've recently discovered Rollei RPX films and purchased some and was wondering if anyone has used them and what their experiences were. I'm not really interested in whether it's a re-packaging of this or that film, but to have it reviewed as a stand alone product on its own merit.
Old 19th January 2011, 02:28 PM
Friend

Just in case anyone's interested. I've calibrated Rollei RPX 100 developed in HC110 and results measured using a densitometer. Inversions for first 30 sec of development and then 5 sec every 30 sec at rate of two inversion in 5 sec.

My results:

ZONE 1 = 0.11 ZONE 5 = 0.75 ZONE 8 = 1.24

ISO 50 develop time 5:00

Regards, Norbert

Last edited by NStepien; 19th January 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 19th January 2011, 06:46 PM
Friend

Hello Norbert

I've tried a roll of the Rollei RPX100 and 400 versions and obtained very good results at ISO 80 and ISO 320 respectively in fotospeed fd10 developer.

From my own observations and testing It appears to be very similar to branded Kentmere 100 and 400 which in turns is almost a solid match on Ilford selected markets Ilford Pan 100 and 400 versions. It seems from various online postings this film is made in collaberation with Harman. Make what will from this!

As a everyday quality film it's terrific quality and value but it's certainly no match for the old genuine APX100/Rollei Retro 100 product it's supposed to replace.

For 2 rolls I test in "FD10" the suggested times for FP4+ and HP5+ with 30secs initial agitation and 10secs or 2 up/down tilts every min and come our well.

Overall a good film and fair price from firstcall. Would certainly consider using it when my vast stock of other films is depleted - went overboard last year on stocking up!

Larry.

Last edited by Larry; 19th January 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 6th February 2011, 12:56 PM
Friend

Hi Larry. I've not used RPX very much and not used APX100/Rollei 100 at all, but I'm curious as to how the RPX falls short? I ask because I've mainly stuck with one film and don't really have a sense of how films differ besides the obvious grain pattern.
Old 6th February 2011, 01:50 PM
Friend

Norbert - if you wish to try it one of the forum sponsors and member (Matt5791) still has some in stock and a good price.

Ag Photographic
Old 6th February 2011, 05:04 PM
Friend

At £1.75 per roll this surely cannot be beaten. You couldn't bulk roll for this price. Great value

Mike
Old 6th February 2011, 05:50 PM
Friend

Thumbs up

Hi Norbert

The best way I could describe the primary difference between Rollei Retro 100/APX100 and the newer RPX100 is that the former to me has a wider range of tones with better shadow, mid and highlight seperation with a unique character for any traditional B&W film still available.

The latter RPX version is more like FP4 (not the plus variety). A solid and dependable film that works well in a mix of lighting and for a wide range of subjects. Think of it as a cost-effective varient of pre FP4+, HP5+. Rock solid and reliable but lacks that certain uniqueness and charm the APX range films have.

As Mike says, it's certainly great value and to be honest I wouldn't hesitate to use RPX films if I was looking for a reliable bog-standard B&W film.

If you do contact Matt at ag photographic ask him also about the orginal rollei retro/apx100 as well.

All in all, RPX is a welcomed newcomer offering more choice. In reality, their isn't any really bad films out their, just personal preferences (you guessed my favourites are APX100 and the LegacyPro range).

Larry
http://www.creativevisionandsound.co.uk

Last edited by Larry; 6th February 2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 27th October 2013, 12:33 PM
Friend

I've been using this film for a while now and really like the results.

Recently I have been stand developing it in Rodinal @ 1 + 100 (minimum of 6ml of dev + 600ml water) for one hour at 20C with good results.

Terry S
Old 27th October 2013, 10:04 PM
Friend

I am going to have to try something different all I have ever used is Ilford and Kodak b/w film ,so the next time I need some film I will try some rollei film ,will it work with ilfosol 3 I use it for fp4 and tri x and get the results I like ........

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies