Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Nova Slot Processor Repair
Nova Slot Processor Repair
Tensol 12
Published by GoodOldNorm
6th December 2014
Default Nova Slot Processor Repair

My Nova tank had a crack around the top of two dividing sections as shown in photo 1. The tank was thoroughly washed out and then dried for three days near a radiator. Using a cotton bud I then cleaned the crack with some upvc cleaner (acetone). You can use petroleum ether and then wash it off with water but I did not want to have to dry the tank again. A ratchet strap (with blocks of wood to protect the tank and apply pressure where it was needed) was placed around the tank loosely. I gave the tank a blast with the wife's hairdryer to drive out any remaining water from the cracks. The Tensol 12 was taken out of the fridge and dripped into the cracks, I helped it into the cracks using a long matchstick and tilted the tank accordingly. Alternatively you could use a syringe.The ratchet strap was then tensioned to close the cracks. Be carefull not to apply too much pressure as the tanks are in my opinion quite fragile. I then left the tank to dry.

I also experimented with glues I had around the house, Tensol 12 as expected made a firm contact and held fast, it actually melts into the surface of the acrylic. Araldite made an equally strong joint and had better gap filling qualities because of its thick viscosity. Full strength super glue was not a great success, the bond between the two pieces was easily broken. Fiberglass epoxy resin hardly made any kind of bond at all and it was easy to snap the two bits of acrylic apart. If I could not get hold of Tensol 12 I would not hesitate to use Araldite, but beware that as pointed out by one of our friends on the forum darkroom chemicals can attack and breakdown Araldite over time. I would not attempt to build a tank using a two part epoxy resin but I am confident it could be used to make a small repair. The Tensol 12 was purchased from Trent-Plastics (Gainsborough) on Ebay at a cost of £8.85 including P&P (it was delivered the next day). Tensol 12 is quite thin, there is another type of Tensol called Tensol 20 that is thicker and has better joint filling capabilities but it is much more expensive.
Article Tools

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020487.jpg
Views:	2357
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	2210   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020489.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2211   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020490.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2212   Click image for larger version

Name:	a Tensol 12132.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	2213  
By Luis on 6th December 2014, 11:32 PM

Nova once sent me an acrifix sample and worked like a charm
By GoodOldNorm on 9th December 2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Nova once sent me an acrifix sample and worked like a charm
That is correct The Imaging Warehouse also sell the acrylic cement which is listed on their website.
By John King on 9th December 2014, 08:02 PM

I wish my processors were as clean as these.
By Mike O'Pray on 9th December 2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Well in my experience it can be done John. It just requires some household bleach that hasn't been diluted to death and patience that lasts for up to several days. Oh and a bottle brush that is deep enough to still give you "purchase".

Unfortunately it doesn't make your prints any better anymore than a clean car goes faster

Mike
By Luis on 10th December 2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
There are a few commercial processor cleaners which work just fine. Alternatively home mixed TC1 always did its job for me.
By GoodOldNorm on 10th December 2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
There are a few commercial processor cleaners which work just fine. Alternatively home mixed TC1 always did its job for me.
Hello Luis. I use Tarbuster but its expensive, what is home mixed TC1 and how do you make it? Thank you.
By Mike O'Pray on 10th December 2014, 07:46 PM

For what it is worth I found that Tarbuster is excellent and reasonably economical for ridding the slot of developer tar, especially RA4 developer but nothing like as good for fixer stains where good old fashioned household bleach and a bit of time seems to work better and quite cheaply

Mike
By JOReynolds on 10th December 2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Hello Luis. I use Tarbuster but its expensive, what is home mixed TC1 and how do you make it? Thank you.
Tar is soluble in 5% w/v citric acid solution. Crystalline citric acid is sold in home-brew shops and is quite cheap. It dissolves easily. A good soak is best - no need to rush. Block up overflows to raise the liquid level and clean around the tide-line.
Citric acid 2.5% makes an excellent non-smelly stop bath.
By Luis on 10th December 2014, 09:50 PM

Tray Cleaner 1 (TC1)
1L water
90gr Pot. Bichromate
96ml Sulfuric acid, concentrated.

I've used it fillling trays, slots, or just scrubbing with a brush soaked in it. Then rinse. Use protection (gloves, lab coat, eye protection) and common sense from mixing properly to use; you don't want the stuff splashing everywhere, isn't healthy and – ironically – it stains. On a glass stoppered bottle it lasts nearly forever, I keep using the same solution for longer than I can recall.

TC3 is less aggressive, and still a good cleaner in two solutions, but I don't have the formula at hand. IIRC it had sulfuric acid, and pot. permanganate in a far lower concentration.

Jobo processor clean does the trick too, but ain't cheap, probably in the same league than Nova's. Also there is – or was – a third product from tetenal, but can't tell you about the price.
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search