Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st April 2011, 08:36 AM
Friend

Default Paper for Bromoil

All,
I'm expanding my experiments into alternative processes and wish to make some Bromoil prints.

However, I'm unclear about which currently available papers would be most suitable. I'm aware that Kentmere Document Art was a favourite, but it's no longer available. I read that Slavich Unibrom worked, but I can't find an outlet for this (I had previously unsuccessfully tried to find this for lith printing).

So, my question is: Can any of the members here suggest a suitable paper for this process?

Thanks and regards,
Niall
Old 21st April 2011, 08:47 AM
Friend

Neil,
I think there is an adox paper that is made for Bromoil, I seem to remember something about it on the Fotoimpix site, can't remember their web address but might be worth checking it out,
Richard
Old 21st April 2011, 10:11 AM
Friend

I have yet to try it but the Formabrom Varient VC matt looks promising, I have a small stock of Kentmere Art Document paper to finish first.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:12 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Niall,

Fotoimpex seem to do a paper called Bromoprint in 8x10 and 11x14 sizes packs of 10 sheets.

See http://www.fotoimpex.de/Home/engl_ph...otopapers.html and http://www.fotoimpex.de/cgi-bin/shop...print&x=12&y=8

Seems like you need to speak German to get the full information and prices.

Bill
Old 21st April 2011, 10:14 AM
Friend

I suspect that the Harman Art300 paper may work well.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:29 AM
Friend

Thanks Guys. Ag Photographic stock the Adox paper- I'llt ry that first.

Anyone got any idea why Fotospeed has stopped its Bromoil kits?

Regards,
Niall
Old 21st April 2011, 08:19 PM
Friend

One of the reasons that I have not produced Bromoil for several years is the demise of Kentmere Document Art and even when it was around, why did they never produce it in softer grades? The Russian paper Slavich sounds promising, but perhaps the best solution may now be to use liquid emulsion such as SE1, as you want something quite basic. When working with Bromoil it is more important to consider the physical properties of the paper surface rather than the process chemistry involved.
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Bell View Post
Thanks Guys. Ag Photographic stock the Adox paper- I'llt ry that first.

Anyone got any idea why Fotospeed has stopped its Bromoil kits?

Regards,
Niall
I don't know why they stopped the kits, probably because there is no longer a decent market for them, in any case the ink supplied in them was far too runny to be of any use.

I don't know what your experience of the process is (mine is limited) but the following links might be of use: I found a most useful guide to be Bromoil 101 by Gene Laughter. Gene maintained that all papers are suitable for the process, although some are easier to use than others; he's not wrong.
Also checkout the DVD of Norman Gryspeerdt working the process, Silverprint stock it.
Lastly (for now) Derek Watkins book is a good read.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:05 AM
Friend

Thanks all.

Dave, my experience with Bromoil is precisely zip- so far. Coincidentally I ordered the Watkins book earlier, but the Bromoil 101 is out of print and unavailable (except for a silly price on Amazon). I'm always keen on books, so if any other recommendations come to mind- I'd be pleased to hear of them.

Interesting comment that Laughter thought all papers are suitable- we'll just have to see how so!

Niall
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies