Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th October 2018, 03:27 PM
Friend

Default canon AE-1 problems

just been given a black body canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1.8 canon lens and a vivitar 28mm 2.8 lens , it has a problem it does not always fire ,I think the problem is with the shutter button I have been blowing some compressed air in and around the shutter button it seems to have cleared something because it works most of the time now ,i took the winder cover of the bottom and sprayed some compressed air in there and that seems to have helped even more .i have put new mirror foam in, there is a little mark on the focusing screen and a few dots of dust but otherwise its easy to see and focus .I have just given it another blow through the winder hole and so fare its working all the time now ,but only time will tell ,if it carries on working I will buy it a power winder ,I am not a lover of the AE-1 ,but its something to muck about with ,anybody got any idea why it has been behaving like it has ,please let me know...…..
Old 5th October 2018, 08:37 AM
Friend

When it does fire, has it got the canon squeak? I had a couple of A1 bodies, and they both developed the dreaded squeak.... They never seized though.
http://jetbutterfly.web.fc2.com/camera/e_squeak.html
https://www.flickr.com/groups/233731...7622020459824/
If it's electrical, say corroded contacts, then perhaps a little use will move the corrosion out of the way. If it's the mirror sticking, then see above.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:15 PM
Friend

thanks for that Jim I have solved the problem there is a little magnet on the left hand side under the base plate I got a very thin piece of paper in-between the magnet and the coil and cleaned the face ,and now it works great ,the AE1 go for a good price on fleebay but the FD lenses are really resendable price wise .I wont start buying canon stuff as I am a Nikon man and I use more medium format now ,but it is a great system to start shooting film with
Old 6th October 2018, 04:38 PM
Friend

And to keep shooting film with. I have been lucky enough to have come across several Canon FD lenses - no real dogs among them. The Cosina 19-35 wasn't so good.....! Glad you found the solution.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies