Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th January 2011, 01:04 AM
Friend

Default Durst 504 + Ilford 400HL head

Hi - I purchased this enlarger about 18 months ago - I made a couple of prints to ensure its correct operation then had to mothball it until I had room to use it.

That time has come, but in the meantime I read somewhere that the 400HL head is redundant due to a change in the filtration colours for Multigrade papers. Is this true? Is there a work around? or do I need to look for a later 500 head or perhaps a colour head.

I wish to be using the enlarger for both enlargements and as a light source for contact printing. I would like to keep using either Ilford paper or the new Harmon produced papers but am willing to change if I can keep the enlarger as it is. I also have a box of Silverprint Proof paper to get myself up to speed again. I haven't produced any B&W silver based prints for around 40 years!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

nn
Old 9th January 2011, 06:46 AM
Friend

I believe that this is the one with the simple push button control panel that goes up to grade 4 in 1/2 grade steps. I think you will find it perfectly usable for many VC papers available today. Obviously you will need a work around for grades 41/2 and 5. I would suggest that it is no less usable than the VC head that DeVere supplied for that enlarger or, indeed any dedicated dial in VC Head like the VLS 501 head I have on my Durst Laborator.
Old 9th January 2011, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default De Vere 504 + Ilford 400 Multigrade Head

Up until 3 years ago I used a 400 head on a 203. Worked fine with Forte and Foma papers. If I need more than grade 4 I used put a grade 5 filter above the neg.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de

Tags
b&w printing head, durst 504, ilford 400hl
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies