Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2011, 09:05 PM
Friend

Default Rollei 400 infrared

Does anyone use this film in 35mm? The literature about it claims that it can be used in 'any Nikon camera'. I had problems with fogging when using Rollei Retro 80 in a Nikon F80. I understand this might have been due to the infrared frame counter in this camera. Has anyone tried it in a similar camera? Thanks, Alex.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:43 PM
Friend

Hi Alex,

Extract from Nikon support
Infra-red film can be used in most Nikon 35mm SLR cameras, the exceptions to this are the F80, F75, F65 and F55 all of which use a frame counter which uses infra-red light and should not be used with infra-red film as fogging may occur.

The full story can be found at
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ra-red-film%3F

Hope this helps
Old 21st August 2011, 06:04 PM
Friend

A lot of these cameras with infrared sensors inside only slightly fog the rebate of the film so you can still print very much full 35mm frame.

I don't have experience with the Nikon cameras listed but have seen much the same in some of the Canon EOS series with I/R sensors inside.

Before you rush out and buy another camera I would put a test strip through what you have and see if you can live with some fog in the rebate.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st August 2011, 10:47 PM
Friend

Thanks for your thoughts. I will run a roll through an F80 and report back.I have been using a Nikon FE for Efke infrared film, but I prefer the size and shape of the F80. It is easier to handle, even on a tripod.I would have no problem if the fogging is confined to the edges as I tend to enlarge slightly over full frame.If the sun remains up here I should be able to shoot a roll in a few days.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:40 AM
Friend

You could well get away with it as the Rollei 400 I/R is not as I/R sensitive as Kodak I/R which this fogging advice was aimed at. I have been using Rollie 400 I/R in my XPAN (which has sensors inside) without any problems.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies