Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th August 2011, 05:07 AM
Friend

By curious coincidence I developed several rolls of film yesterday at 27 Celcius even though my tap water is running at 20 Celcius. Heating the developer gave me much shorter developing times with Xtol and I appreciated getting out of the darkroom earlier.

High temperature development is fine for film if one has one's times and temperatures calibrated. Remember, thousands of metres of colour film have whizzed through the E6 process at nearly 40 Celcius with no harm at all.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 7th August 2011, 08:44 AM
Friend

I have this problem quite often too.

My development time for ID-11 is 11mins and I find that filling a bowl with water and adjusting the temp with ice cubes to achieve 20 c works. the temp, once achieved will remain steady for the time I need to keep the tank submerged
Old 8th August 2011, 06:15 AM
Friend

My tap water temperature varies from 16-17ºC in winter to 22-23ºC right now. In winter, my bathroom/darkroom is kept at 20-21ºC, so before developing I keep two jugs with water for one day to get the right temperature. In summer, I don't bother too much. Just mix the developer, check the temperature just before pouring it in the tank and adjust the developing time accordingly (following Ilford chart).

Cheers
Old 8th August 2011, 12:15 PM
Friend

I have often wondered if others find any difference to the quality of the negative if the film is developed at different temperatures. I usually develop B&W film at the most convenient temperature for the time of year i.e. that of the water as it comes out of the tap.
So far as I can see, deviating from 20 deg. and adjusting the time accordingly makes little or no difference. I must point out though that I have never tried a definitive test, and I can't remember the last time I was forced to develop at a temperature greater than 25.
Old 8th August 2011, 03:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I have often wondered if others find any difference to the quality of the negative if the film is developed at different temperatures.
It might be with emulsion made of two or more layers. It also may cause different activity level of each dev. agent in the soup. Metol I think is quite linear, but quinol is not, so with higher temp. You may have increase in contrast.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:02 PM
Friend

I find a water bath to be the best method of maintaining developer temperature. Generally I check the temp of the developer (the insulation in my darkroom is pretty good at keeping the room temp reasonably steady, but it's not always 20 Deg C). Then I fill the sink with cold water - and it's not going to be 20 deg coming out of the tap here in Scotland! - and add some hot water to bring it up to the dev temp.

The mass of water in the sink will hold its temperature for the dev time with no problem. I adjust the dev time to suit the difference in temp accordingly.

I've never noticed a difference in neg quality from different dev temperatures - although, some might argue that my negs and "quality" in the same sentence are questionable anyway...

I also find it easier to warm up chemicals to a required temp than to cool them down - warming seems to need just a dip of the container in hot water and a bit of a stir. Cooling seems to take forever to get it down just a couple of degrees.

EddieB
Old 27th August 2011, 06:59 PM
Friend

TEXAN here - you were warned. My water comes out of the tap this time of year at over 90 degress F = 32+ C ... I HAVE to cool my water down or the adjusted times would be too radically short. What I usually do is cool my darkroom down to adjust the room temp for stop, fix, etc... then I use a pitcher of water that has been in the fridge as my adding water. I use the tap for rinse, though. Haven't had any emulsion melt yet!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies