Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2016, 04:24 AM
Friend

Default Classic Cats By Great Photographers

Trust the French to publish a book with a title like that, but whether you love the fluffy wee things or not, it is packed full of damn good photographs of Cats.
They're by a ton of great photographers too - you run from Beaton and Capa, through Steichen, Lartique, C-B, Erwitt, Duncan, Eisenstaedt et al, and a fair number of European photographers who I confess to never having heard of.
It's really rather a unique book, beautifully printed (OK there is a bit of guttering here and there, which I hate, but it is nothing to complain about).
Published by Editions Flammarion, and compiled and edited by Jules Farber - ISBN 2-0803-0496-8. Seem to be plenty around secondhand, though none at the fiver I got it for in Oxfam
It's not going to teach you anything, but if, like me, you've always found it a struggle to photograph any animal, and if you just like looking at photographs anyway, it's a very pleasant way to while away some time. Oh and I should say, it isn't just a photo book of fluffy creatures in cute poses . . the choice of photographs and the class of the photographers lends it a real air of gravitas!
Old 27th May 2016, 09:51 AM
Friend

Some real heavyweight names as you stated Phil. Looks like a beautiful book.

Cats have been popular since before the Pharoahs, I'm not surprised that the big name photographers pay them attention.
I've recently noticed that the most popular images on flickr are of cute little kittens...girls seem to adore them.

Definitely a good way to get your work noticed.

Vive le Chatte

Found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2W0PWGDuw

JP
Old 27th May 2016, 11:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabhar View Post
Some real heavyweight names as you stated Phil. Looks like a beautiful book.

Cats have been popular since before the Pharoahs, I'm not surprised that the big name photographers pay them attention.
I've recently noticed that the most popular images on flickr are of cute little kittens...girls seem to adore them.

Definitely a good way to get your work noticed.

Vive le Chatte

Found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2W0PWGDuw

JP

Well found! Yeah it's a curious book with some really great photos - I find myself coming back to it time and again actually and I can't explain why.
I've seen other copies in various Oxfams for a few quid so you might be lucky if you're on the old Oxfam photobook hunt (amazing what that turns up these days)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies