Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2019, 11:00 PM
Friend

Default Stuff to photograph around Haltwhistle?

Please keep this to yourselves but we’ve bought something beginning with a c and ending in aravan. We’ll be basing it for the season - March to October - near Haltwhistle which is just about the geographical centre of Britain.

I hope to spend some time at Hadrian’s Wall trying to find some images that aren’t Cuddy’s Crag or Sycamore Gap. Also Allonby which Ray Moore loved. There must be loads of things/landscapes to photograph within a 50 mile radius but I’m not at all familiar with the area and any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th January 2019, 08:28 AM
Friend

Default Where to go?

Just where do you want me to start? It is a matter I suppose of how far you want to drive to get to somewhere - or anywhere? As you have C...van you can do things at your leasure and in your own time.

At Haltwhistle you are about mid country to go in and direction and you will be spoiled for choice. Apart from the places you mentioned up on the Roman Wall, just nort of the Twice Brewed pub on General Wades Military Road is a very easy access to the roman wall and a walk to the east.

Go west young man and you are about 45 mins away from the Lake District.

Go South and you are not far away from the Dales of North Durham, Weardale, Teesdale, Wensleydale (Actually in North Yorkshire but only just) Swaledale - I could go on.

Go east and you are in the heartland of the Industrial Revolution. Not a lot of the original remains in it's birthplace, but the Beamish Museum is worth a visit or two or ten. If you do decide to go there buy an annual ticket because it is about the same price as a day visitor. I hold the annual ticket and as I live only 2 miles away it is a good place to walk. Every time I go I find something new to photograph and as it is a huge site (3 miles around the perimeter) you will never ever see it all in a day or for that matter a month

About the only real, true, industrial site remaining is Bowes Railway Museum in Springwell Village just south of Gateshead. (It is not the Bowes Museum which is in Barnard Castle) Entry is free and photography is welcomed. It is more or less as designed and built by the brothers George and Robert Stevenson at the begining of the 19th C. It is the only remaining standard gauge, rope operated, industrial railway left in anywhere the world! Totally unique and entry is free. Some parts are risky to the unwary, but a guide will take you around where it is safe. It is smaller than Beamish, but totally original as it was left in 1974 when it closed as an operating system. Good footwear is needed.

Go north and you have the whole of Northumberland, north Cumbria and the Scottish Borders. From Berwick south you have the coast with Holy Island, Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and all the areas in from the sea.

I could go on but it would take up the complete bandwidth of the forum. Be aware though some of the places can get busy in high summer especially school holidays, but the roads away from towns are largely very quiet.

It is still largely unspoiled and undeveloped. Oh yes did I say I come from up 'ere?

Last edited by John King; 6th January 2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 6th January 2019, 11:14 PM
Friend

Excellent, John. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Looks like we've picked a good spot to park the caravan!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies