Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2019, 09:40 PM
Friend

Default Technical Field Guide for the Discerning Analog Photographer

This one made me chuckle. Very tongue in cheek.

https://emulsive.org/articles/append...g-calculations

918 page "field guide", all held together by a single brass ring. I want one! At only 1,999 GBP it's a bargain at twice the price
https://filmfieldguides.com/product/...-photographer/

Could this be the same David Allen as our own dsallen here on FADU?

Last edited by Svend; 13th February 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:33 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=SvendN;123550]This one made me chuckle. Very tongue in cheek.

Had the same effect on me. Mind you whenever the subject of, I think, lenses and lens design is raised on another forum a certain person whom I have no doubt is skilled in maths as it pertains to the subject immediately hits the viewers with some very difficult equations. It appears to be his main photographic interest

It is as if A Einstein immersed in Relativity has been invited to talk about the space/time continuum to a class of infants. He can't quite get his head around how to pitch it to the level of his audience

Mike
Old 14th February 2019, 02:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
This one made me chuckle. Very tongue in cheek.

https://emulsive.org/articles/append...g-calculations

918 page "field guide", all held together by a single brass ring. I want one! At only 1,999 GBP it's a bargain at twice the price
https://filmfieldguides.com/product/...-photographer/

Could this be the same David Allen as our own dsallen here on FADU?
Glad you enjoyed it, SvendN. Sorry to say that it's not FADU's dsallen and there is more coming. We have another three appendices to publish! Think you'll be getting a copy of the full manual?

Film reviews, experiments, interviews and culture. It's about latitude & depth, not megapixels & actuations.
Old 14th February 2019, 01:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulsive View Post
Glad you enjoyed it, SvendN. Sorry to say that it's not FADU's dsallen and there is more coming. We have another three appendices to publish! Think you'll be getting a copy of the full manual?
For sure. If all the other formulas are as simple as t_{df} = 0.025 \sigma^3 - 0.05 \sigma^2 + 0.425 \sigma + 1, then it's a gem...simplicity itself to do the mental math out in the field. And at C$3500, plus shipping and customs duty, it's a heck of a deal. Sadly all copies are out of stock now, so I'll have to wait.

I do worry about carrying 918 pages in my backpack. Might need a second sling bag...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies