Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th February 2020, 09:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Page 2 of the instructions on my original post does recommend ….. see the link.

"It is advisable to add a spoonful of domestic bleach to the water cores to prevent so as to prevent the build up of algae."

Looks like a fancy mechanical siphon would be a bit of a necessity for emptying.

Either way, with a simple siphon tube I would have a good chance of a mouthful of algae or bleachy water.

Cheers.
Quite, however according to the manual we have concerning the control of Legionella Disease, algae are one of the prime sources of the spores. Is it worth risking life for the lack of a drop of bleach.
Old 29th February 2020, 10:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Page 2 of the instructions on my original post does recommend ….. see the link.

"It is advisable to add a spoonful of domestic bleach to the water cores to prevent so as to prevent the build up of algae."

Looks like a fancy mechanical siphon would be a bit of a necessity for emptying.

Either way, with a simple siphon tube I would have a good chance of a mouthful of algae or bleachy water.

Cheers.

Quite right, however algae is one of the prime sauces of the spores that can infect people with Legionella Disease. This is a particularly unpleasant illness that makes Corona virus look like a runny nose. Is it worth risking you health for a drop of bleach as a preventative?

There is another way around it without a mechanical syphon. Fill a tube with water from the tap and put your finger over the end. Lower the other end into the water jacket and then remove you finger when the tube is lower than the bottom of the Nova. That is the way I empty my JOBO processor after film developing. In fact with the later ones (My new one is is only 6 months old) there are no level plugs on the end plate, you judge the water level by sight glasses so emptying the water jackets will be a long tedious business with no other holes to allow air to enter at the same time

Last edited by John King; 29th February 2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 1st March 2020, 11:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The plastic that they are made from is acrylic and for it's thickness is exceptionally strong. Making them from metal would almost certainly raise the question about contamination especially in the stop bath and blix slots, unless they were coated with plastic!!! They would also be quite expensive to make - more so than the present models which are quite pricey anyway.

Then there is the question of making them waterproof as well. The joints and seams would have to be welded or sealed somehow (With plastic?) and as they would flex more than the plastic versions the long term integrity would be in question. If they didn't flex they would be extremely heavy

Also mixing electricity with water is bad enough, but in a metal tank it could be lethal if a fault developed. At least with acrylic there is insulation to guard against accidents.

Some very good points! Like I said I love my Novas. I don't intend to slam them. I think it goes without saying that most darkroom products can be improved upon greatly and it's no different for nova slots.

Best of luck on your search nat, if you find a good mechanical siphon let us know, that's definitely something I would be interested in.
Old 1st March 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellmakosk View Post
...if you find a good mechanical siphon let us know, that's definitely something I would be interested in.
I mentioned one in my post #7. Is this not suitable for your needs?

Terry S
Old 1st March 2020, 01:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S

Missed those. Sorry Terry, my head is all over the place. and thank you, I just purchased the "hand siphon" it is much needed in here!
Old 1st March 2020, 01:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Missed those. Sorry Terry, my head is all over the place. and thank you, I just purchased the "hand siphon" it is much needed in here!
No worries, I'm always happy to help!

Terry S
Old 30th June 2020, 08:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
Quote:
Has the hand siphon arrived? Was it successful?
Pete
Old 1st July 2020, 11:30 AM
Friend

The syphons work for me - that's why I recommended them!

And I've just used my syphon recently, to empty most of the liquid in some of the chemical slots, as it's much quicker and more efficient than the tap, which I then use to empty the last little bit of liquid.

It would be interesting to hear the OP views, as well as from anyone else who bought one.

Terry S
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Legionella is a bacteria, not a fungus. While there are pathogenic fungi (and bacteria) they are very much in the minority and we are currently covered in billions of the little buggers (and always have been) and we have all managed to survive this long. Saying all that, I put bleach in my water baths too!

Yes, been using an aquarium siphon for emptying the nova slotty thing (amongst other things) for years and it works fine for me (actually I am on my second one as the bulb part tore on my first one).

Alternately, fill a length of tube with water in a bowl etc. Put your thumb over one end and lift it out of the bowl of water by that end keeping the other end submerged so it is the last part to exit the water - the water should stay in the tube. Dip the open end all the way into the water jacket and drop the "thumb" end below the bottom of the tank. Remove your thumb and watch the water flow (might be a good idea to do this last bit over a suitably sized bucket ).

Last edited by Bob; 2nd July 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:38 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I just use a syphon with a tube.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies