Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2015, 06:44 PM
Friend

Hmm...very interesting. Thanks for all your input - very helpful, particularly re. judges. Food for thought.

I wasn't sure I wanted to be the only film&darkroom user in a club - I think I might just get too frustrated with all the over-HDR'd digital images you see nowadays. But clearly some of you do survive being the lone analogue user, so maybe there is hope.

I will investigate print circles (are they like crop circles? and I'm acutely aware that I haven't yet participated in FADU Print Exchanges, although I'm intending to do so very soon (just a little apprehensive, as I'm only relatively recently back in the darkroom).

Michael
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:12 PM
Friend

There is a circle in the UPP postal photographic club for silver analogue processes only. There are nine members in it at the moment who circulate a box of nine prints once a month for comments and marking by everybody. It is friendly group and if you think that this may appeal to you I can give you more details. Print size is 80 square inchs min and 16x12 max.

Tony
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
I will investigate print circles (are they like crop circles?
Yeah, they're made by fairies.
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:51 PM
Friend

Leprechauns in this part of the world, Argentum. Tony I will pm you.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Leprechauns in this part of the world, Argentum. Tony I will pm you.
In the home of crop circles (avebury/silbury hill) they're always fairies but those Leprechauns seem to get exported all over the world so there's no telling.
Old 24th September 2015, 08:48 AM
Friend

Default Judges

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I think what really sealed it for me was when a "judge" passed comment that I should have photoshopped a few clouds in when he was looking at one of my prints (on Ilford MGIV Fibre).
Snap!
I remember submitting a print on gloss RC, dried through an Ilford 1250 dryer, so mirror-shiny. It was a high-key image with the word 'bromide' in the title. The 'judge', who claimed a judging career extending back before the digital era, suggested that I Photoshop out the wrinkle in the sitter's blouse, reprint on lustre paper and re-submit. I whispered to my neighbour that I knew which was his car. But the anger subsided.
Old 24th September 2015, 09:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
There is a circle in the UPP postal photographic club for silver analogue processes only.Print size is 80 square inchs min and 16x12 max.
I did not get all the information right and Bill has given me the correct information.

"Circle 10 is a ‘General Interest’ - ‘Large Print’ - Monochrome Only circle. The maximum print size is 16” x 12”, inclusive of mount and the minimum print size is 70 sq inches - exclusive of mount."

Thanks Bill, I need watching.

Tony
Old 24th September 2015, 09:03 AM
Friend

I suspect the on going discussion and opinion on Clubs and Judges will never end.................no problem with that.
I have been a "Judge" [ prints only] for many years and give "lectures" also for many years. In my case I seem to get much respect because I am a film and darkroom user. Many clubs say that they appreciate my print comments for the reason that i am a non digital printer. As for clubs generaly...I agree that they are besotted with electronics and projection, but they do have a part to play.
Old 24th September 2015, 09:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
I did not get all the information right and Bill has given me the correct information.

"Circle 10 is a ‘General Interest’ - ‘Large Print’ - Monochrome Only circle. The maximum print size is 16” x 12”, inclusive of mount and the minimum print size is 70 sq inches - exclusive of mount."

Thanks Bill, I need watching.

Tony
You also forgot to mention that several other FADU members belong to C10.
Old 24th September 2015, 09:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hall View Post
I suspect the on going discussion and opinion on Clubs and Judges will never end.................no problem with that.
I have been a "Judge" [ prints only] for many years and give "lectures" also for many years. In my case I seem to get much respect because I am a film and darkroom user. Many clubs say that they appreciate my print comments for the reason that i am a non digital printer. As for clubs generaly...I agree that they are besotted with electronics and projection, but they do have a part to play.

Actually I think you need to give a wider grouping than just clubs where being 'besotted' with electronics are concerned. There are a lot of people out there who think they are loosing out and somehow their photography is poor and can be improved by buying the latest camera, with the highest number of pixels and the widest sensitivity range.

In actual fact the larger proportion of these will never ever make the grade,because their photography IS poor. The learning of the basics has simply bypassed them because they were dazzled by the latest bit of bling.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies