Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th June 2020, 03:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
You cannot trust anything in the 'publc domain' nor ever could. There is always someone's agenda involved.

My mum worked for Family Planning Assoc. on Merseyside in 60's and 70's. When the queen visited Liverpool they did up the buildings along the roads she travelled but the next roads back were left as the slums they were. I wonder if she was fooled like she was supposed to be?

Mike
It was like that were my mum grew up in the 50,s
She lived behind SFX church in Everton and had to be moved out in 1957 due to them being slums, her dad died when she was 12 so they got a flat in Kirkby for the 2 of them, the council would make Netherfield rd look nice for people passing through, go down the side streets and things would be different
There used to be murder every July the 12th between the catholics and the Lodge though
Old 16th June 2020, 03:45 PM
Friend

I have not purchased a newspaper since the press demonised the coal miners during the mid 1980s strike. Piers Morgan printing fake pictures of our soldiers urinating on Iraq prisoners of war was an all time low. Newspapers are doomed and so is the BBC unless it streams TV programs etc. for viewers to watch anytime.
Old 16th June 2020, 04:52 PM
Friend

I haven't bought a national newspaper for many years, I simply do not believe 99.9% of anything they print, especially when they report on things here, pretty much all false, just makes good reading, and as for our local newspaper, personally, I don't think it is worth the paper it is printed on, even the TV news can be very amusing, they get things so wrong, and if you ever do get a retraction, it is on the inside back page, in very small print, with the internet Etc newspapers have had their day, so they print more and more fake and misleading just to try and get folks to buy the rags
Richard
Old 16th June 2020, 05:55 PM
Administrator

OK guys: I think the relevant points have been made. Lets not move into specific political territory.
Old 16th June 2020, 06:57 PM
Friend

Regards The Queen and places being tidied up for her visits, I was told many years ago that if she ever writes her autobiography it should be called "The Smell of Fresh Paint."

And that is a true story.

Cheers.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:44 PM
Friend

As an ex-newspaper reporter with 31 years experience on a regional daily and rubbing shoulders with the national Press and TV, I thought I’d just say that almost every person I worked beside was a thoroughly decent individual.

Accuracy was paramount: it was drummed into us from day one. The journalists were a clever and stimulating bunch and there was seldom a dull moment. I also spent a lot of time in the company of solicitors and I’d rate the journalists as brighter overall, for what that’s worth.

I know of only one person in all that time who ever “made up” a story and she was rightly hauled over the coals for it. Of course, it’s possible that the behaviour of some London reporters falls short of that standard but to write off an entire profession because of a few bad apples is very unfair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2020, 08:53 PM
Friend

I don't know about the Queen, but I do remember back in the Seventies the Queen Mother visited us, and every professional gardener over here was employed by the States of Jersey (Our Goverment ) to cut the edges of every lawn, public and private, in the early morning thay she would pass in her Rolls going to various spots around the Island, I was a professional gardener with my own firm at the time.and we all charged the m £100 per edge at the time as we would have to be out at dawn to get them all done, great payday for easy work, but I thought quite stupid at the time,
Richard
Old 16th June 2020, 09:46 PM
Friend

I lived in Glasgow in November 1979 for a year and the Queen came to open up the new underground station that was just refurbished. I liked that and skived off work from the Paisley Southern General Hospital to be there. I wanted to shout God save the Queen but being a Canadian I was too shy.
Any time I know anything about a news article it is always in error, without exception, even if in good will.
Old 16th June 2020, 10:52 PM
Friend

Like Bob, I do wonder how much further we can take this thread without it leading us into uncharted and possibly divisive territory that has nothing to do with photography

When we read any newspaper article our attitude has to be not dissimilar to what we need to do about a photographic problem which is to try and seek corroborative evidence.

In fact this approach applies to everything in life

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies