Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2016, 09:13 PM
New User

Default Mordançage-disposing of chemicals

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying the Mordançage process, and I would like advice on how to dispose of the solution afterwards (or how much it'd be to get it professionally disposed of). It'll be made up of 10g copper (II) chloride, 50ml glacial acetic acid, 105ml 12% hydrogen peroxide, made up to 1 litre with de-ionised water. Would I need to add something to it to make it less harmful, or is there a dilution value with water that would make it safe to go down the drain. (I'm in UK if it makes any difference)
Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Hi. Sorry - sorry, do not know about the Mordançage disposal issues but just thought I say welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by charls View Post
I would like advice on how to dispose of the solution [...] of 10g copper (II) chloride, 50ml glacial acetic acid, 105ml 12% hydrogen peroxide, made up to 1 litre with de-ionised water.
Any copper solution is toxic to the environment and should not be disposed of down the drain. To remove the copper, you can try one of two methods:
  1. Disolve aluminium in the solution - This will cause most of the copper to settle out and leave you with a less problematic solution.
  2. Add an excess of sodium carbonate which will react with the copper chloride and produce an insoluble copper precipitate. It will also neutralise the acetic acid.

Both methods will fizz quite a bit and give off fumes (try not to breath them in). Once the precipitates have been filtered out, the remaining liquid should be fairly safe to dispose of down the drain. To dispose of the remaining sludge, I'd suggest mixing it in with some old paint, wait for it to dry out, and then drop it in the bin.

The hydrogen peroxide content will break down naturally and is not an environmental problem as far as I'm aware.
Old 25th March 2016, 04:06 PM
Print Exchange Manager

You only need to worry about most chemicals put into the public sewer if you use a lot of it - 1000+ litres. The amount you are liable to dispose of as an occasional amateur user is negligible and will be undetectable by man or beast.
Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies