Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th August 2018, 05:34 PM
Friend

Default Lens Filters

Just seen there is a filters board so maybe an Admin can move or delete this for me?

I am looking to get some UV filters for my lenses to help prevent damage to them. Looking around there are lots available with many different prices.
Now I understand that £1 ones from china shouldn't be as good as £10 ones but wondered what the difference is?
I looked at some Kood ones which are £8 but they are also made in China.

The other question is that quite a few say they are for digital cameras and wondered if they still work the same for film cameras?

Thanks
David

Last edited by Quendil; 29th August 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 29th August 2018, 05:48 PM
Friend

The ‘digital’ ones don’t seem any different to me. I shop around for used filters on eBay. There are some sellers who are actually shops, and you can find some good deals. I don’t know how much the quality varies, although you would be better with filters of more recent manufacture, rather than old ones that have been around for a long time. I would only worry about the filter quality if I had very expensive lenses. For most purposes, your average quality is fine, as long as it is undamaged.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th August 2018, 09:08 PM
Friend

Have a look at one of our sponsors Secondhand Darkroom Supplies. They are secondhand filters and mainly Hoya but some are B+W. Some rate B+W higher than Hoya but the latter are pretty good. Most are rated at *** which is a good rating. Prices vary depending on make and size.

I'd avoid £1 filters. Glass filters should last a lifetime and over such a period the cost of better filters per frame of film is still pretty low

Mike
Old 31st August 2018, 05:34 PM
Friend

Avoid "bargain" filters.

I bought a few out of curiosity and threw them in the bin after 10 seconds of inspection

Make sure you buy multicoated filters - not of them are.

"Digital" filters are just filters and work on analogue and every other type of photography.

Hoya make some "Digital" filters that have a better multicoating on them - because digital sensors are effectively shiny pieces of glass that promote internal flaring within the camera and lens.

Ffordes as well as Second-hand Darkroom Supplies sell second-hand filters - both are good to do business with.

Martin
Old 31st August 2018, 08:58 PM
Friend

Avoid so called '' budget filters'' I get my filters from SRB, good quality filters and cheaper than Hoya or black and white, they also make smaller sizes, which suit me as all ofthe cameras I use are classic/vintage, they can do them cheaper as they make their glass filters themselves and sell direct, don't have a link but if you google srb you shouls find them,
Richard
Old 1st September 2018, 10:19 AM
Friend

Digital sensors are inherently insensitive to UV but silver halide film sensitivity extends into the ultraviolet, depending on film type. As Martin Aislabie states, multicoated filters will minimise reflections and are worth paying extra for. Consider the visual difference between cheap plastic 'ready-reader' spectacles and coated lenses.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:22 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the help
Old 1st September 2018, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Avoid "bargain" filters.

I bought a few out of curiosity and threw them in the bin after 10 seconds of inspection

Make sure you buy multicoated filters - not of them are.

"Digital" filters are just filters and work on analogue and every other type of photography.

Hoya make some "Digital" filters that have a better multicoating on them - because digital sensors are effectively shiny pieces of glass that promote internal flaring within the camera and lens.

Ffordes as well as Second-hand Darkroom Supplies sell second-hand filters - both are good to do business with.

Martin

By Multicoated do you mean coated on both sides or is there more to it than that?

Thanks
David
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:18 PM
Friend

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think the filters are multicoated like your camera lenses to stop reflections from a wide spread of wavelengths. I’m not sure if the multi coating is on both sides or just the front facing side.

Single coated lenses will probably not be quite as good at killing unwanted reflections. However, in my experience single coated filters have never been an issue and they are much easier to clean than multi coated filters should the need arise. I’d go for good quality filters, Hoya or B+W, and not worry too much. The important thing is that good quality glass is used and that both sides of the glass are as perfectly parallel to each other as possible and at right angles to the lens axis. Since it’s difficult for the layman to test for that, buying a well-regarded brand is your best guarantee that the filter will do its job without impacting image quality to a noticeable degree. In short, buy a good brand and don’t sweat it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:57 AM
Friend

Personally I have never had problems with single coated lenses, compared to the MC lenses I used to use, all of my current lenses on my old classic cameras, either folders or TLR's are single coated, no unwanted reflections, get them sometimes with my uncoated lenses, if I am not careful, and my ood Rollei B1 filters are single coated, no problems, personally I would not pay the extra that MC filters cost, maybe for colour it may be needed with mordern MY lenses, but if the majority of yor work is B/W them save a bit on filters by getting from someone like srb, they may not be MC, but I have been using their filters for years with out problem, spend the saving on a roll or 2 of film
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies