Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th July 2019, 05:35 PM
Friend

Default Horizon S3 Camera

Hi guys

I am wondering about a Horizon S3 panoramic camera.

Does anyone own one or has experience in using one ?

I know panoramic cameras such as this with a 2.75:1 aspect ratio are not for your everyday shots but for specific subjects they offer a unique perspective/viewpoint.

This is of course in addition to all my other cameras and not instead of any one.

Thanks

Martin
Old 18th July 2019, 06:43 PM
Friend

Mine isn't a '3', but I think all versions are pretty similar.
35mm film, rotating lens, controls the exposure by having a variable width slit which the lens peeks through, and two rotation speeds.
Wide slit, slow rotation= 1/2 second exposure.
Narrow slit fast rotation =1/250
Build quality adequate- I almost lost the film wind lever once, as the retaining screws had worked loose.
Built in 'bubble level' visible in the viewfinder to help composition.
Uses 35mm film, but you need an enlarger cable of handling 6x6 as the negs are so wide.
Fixed lens, so not nearly as versatile as an X-Pan, but Panoramic fun for a fraction of the cost.

Positives:
Very striking images. I've sent a couple of these in the print exchanges.
Lens is a cracker. 28mm, and the slit exposure means the lens makes use of just its sharpest central resolution.
Not particularly heavy.
Pretty compact for a camera which delivers 24 x 58mm negs.

Negatives:
Keep it level or the world bends unnaturally!
Viewfinder is a bit of an approximation at the lateral edges of the frame.
You have to master holding it so your fingers don't appear in frame.

Mine sometimes puts a faint pressure line across the frame, and I've never found the cause.
For my enlarger I had to make a negative holder, using an unwanted 35mm half-frame holder.

Good camera to make you see the world a bit differently. I like my Horizon, and really should use it more;
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...pictureid=3509

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/2478

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/2492
Old 19th July 2019, 12:17 PM
Friend

I have been tempted to buy one, upon each time I take a look at them, but the one thing that seems to bug me, is that (presuming it to be correct), on the Lomo site, it says that there are NO tripod threads on the bottom of any of the models?

If so, how does one keep the camera steady during a longer than usual (for hand held) exposure?

Skellum = having one yourself, can you advise please?

Terry S

EDIT: I have just looked on ebay and have seen that the later model, the S3 Pro, DOES have a tripod mount!

And I'm even more tempted by this model, with various shutter speeds and apertures, which is selling for just under 100 pounds + p/p.

Last edited by Terry S; 19th July 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:25 PM
Friend

I toyed with the idea of a Horizon or Noblex a few years ago but came to the conclusion that for my work they weren't suiable. That was after seeing images Sandy King posted on APUG/Photrio.

Then I looked at the 6x17 extension backs for 5x4 cameras but your very limited in what FL lenses you can use, so I went for a dedicatesd 6x17 camera instead and cones for 90mm and 75mm lenses. In fact I only use the 75mm as it's an ideal FL for my uses, normal for 120 in the vertical plane and an excellent wide view in the horizontal plane.

The problem with the Horizons etc is the curvature, the examples above are good because good choice of subject overcomes this disadvantage.

Ian
Old 19th July 2019, 12:41 PM
Friend

Terry, I've had mine for years so it's an older model and definitely has a tripod socket and accepts a threaded cable release.
Comes with dinky filters which clip inside the lens turret.
Yellow, neutral density, and UV (haze).
I butchered the UV filter and made an IR filter by cutting down an Ilford gelatine SFX 200 filter.
It is perfectly usable hand held, but for slow exposures and straight horizons put it on a tripod.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/2006

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/1868

I bought mine new from an Ebay seller called Ustas in the Ukraine. Paid, then didn't hear a word back. I was just starting to think I'd been robbed when it showed up. I'll check what the model numbe ris when I get home.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:53 PM
Friend

Ian-
I agree on the limitations of the Horizon.
Choice of subject matter is important, and keeping it (more or less) level.
My two favourite formats are square, having grown up with it, and Panoramic; I always loved cinema, and was besotted by the dramatic shape of Cinerama and Panavision.
As attractive as a dedicated 'wide' camera is, with the possibility of greater freedom in composition, I can't justify another format. I barely shoot enough to keep my cameras alive as it is. A few years back I was given a book by Colin Prior, featuring his 6x17 colour work (Velvia??). Absolutely outstanding.

Vincent who posts here has done some beautiful work with an X-Pan, some in IR too I think.

For me, the Horizon lets me explore wide composition when I feel in the mood, and was cheap enough that I don't fret about 'underusing' her.

ps- this isn't Horizon, it's Widelux. Another 35mm rotational pano camera. Jeff Bridges don't care about being level

https://www.jeffbridges.com/photoaug13.html

Last edited by skellum; 19th July 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:54 PM
Friend

Okay, after comparing all of the cameras available, I've gone and ordered one of the S3 Pro's. And there's me sitting here with a Kodak Brownie Cresta 2 camera, with case, that arrived this morning, which I hope to try out over the weekend.

As for the S3 Pro, it has a slightly better, for me anyway, range of shutter speeds; it has a tripod socket AND it comes with a case, which none of the others at the same price for different models did.

So, some lucky person should be getting a shot from it's first outing, in a not too distant print exchange, I would think.

Terry S
Old 19th July 2019, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
As attractive as a dedicated 'wide' camera is, with the possibility of greater freedom in composition, I can't justify another format. I barely shoot enough to keep my cameras alive as it is. A few years back I was given a book by Colin Prior, featuring his 6x17 colour work (Velvia??). Absolutely outstanding
I made a 6x7 field camera 3 years ago using some Graflex parts, tracbed, guides, front standard, etc. I'd bought a box of Speed/crown Graphic parts from Paris a few years ago along with a Postacard sized Grfalex SLR.

My plan was build the 6x7 camera first then build a dual format 6x17 and 5x4 camera. I have some plans for the 6x17 back someone posted online and a spare trackbed, guides and front standard, I want a camera with front tilt and rise and fall.

I have a spare Super Graphic front standard and managed to modify itto fit the quater plate Grfalex rails - I was told it was impossible That'll give me far more movements than a Pacemaker front standard.

There's another option as I have a Seneca City View 7x5 parts camera, I've made parts so it can use my Wista/Linhof lens boards with it, I'll make sure it can use the same 6x17 roll film back. Needs some fittings making and new bellows.

I do like the 6x17 format

Ian
Old 20th July 2019, 12:52 PM
Friend

Unlike Ian, I do not have a 10x8 enlarger sitting in my darkroom - so a 6x17 back for my 5x4 is out of the question.

In addition at Terry S says at £100 ~ ish, they are as cheap as chips.

The curved film plane gives some interesting (!) effects - not suitable for most subjects - but great for a few.

Its the curved film plane that is the particularly interesting effect to me - the aspect ratio can be achieved with cropping in the darkroom.

Thanks

Martin
Old 5th August 2019, 01:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Okay, after comparing all of the cameras available, I've gone and ordered one of the S3 Pro's.

So, some lucky person should be getting a shot from it's first outing, in a not too distant print exchange, I would think.

Terry S
And it arrived about only ten days after ordering it = well done posties all around the world involved in getting it to me!

Manky weather outside today, so I'll be in the darkroom this afternoon. But I do have a day off on Wednesday, so if the weather is a bit better, I have my S3 AND my box brownie to try out. It'll then be a high probability that someone will be getting a print from one of the cameras really soon!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies