Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2020, 06:05 PM
Friend

Default Re-using old chemical bottles

Hi all, I'm new to the forum! I've just joined the forum and was hoping you could help me with a question I have. I will add a small topic to introduce myself too.

Around 10 years ago, a gentleman gave me a set of collapsible bottles which have been in use on and off for B/W chemicals. They are still good after a very thorough clean and many soaks in running water, so I hope to use them for storing C-41 chemicals (or further B/W). Only problem is, the lining on the caps had perished and despite them still sealing the bottles well, they were porous and I felt it was prudent to remove them due to the potential of contamination issues.

My idea for replacement gaskets was a black rubber which I cut out from a sheet. It gave a good seal for a few of the bottles but is there a risk of contamination from the rubber??

If so, I was wondering if it was possible to buy replacement lids or suitable lining for them? I appreciate it would be easier to just chuck the bottles and buy new ones but it seems a waste! I much prefer the idea of using what I already have. Especially seeing as they were a gift.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I can't see any problem with the rubber itself, however, not everyone is a fan of those concertina bottles as they do not compress that much and some are not very air-tight.

If you do compress them to reduce the air gap above the chemical, keep an eye on them to make sure they do not de-compress themselves and rise back up again...

It imay be best to treat them as simple bottles and take other precautions against oxygen contamination (such as using Tetenal Protectan).
Old 10th May 2020, 10:09 AM
Friend

Hi Spencer, cross-contamination can certainly be an issue and this is why chemicals are best stored in dedicated containers from new. I wouldn't advise switching bottles for storing different chemicals. Label each container clearly and preserve it for that use only. Otherwise it could be penny-wise but pound-foolish.

I should think that the risk of contamination from the thick rubber is probably extremely low, far lower than the risk of cross-contamination of chemicals especially in the soft material and folds of concertina bottles.

Oxidation is also a higher risk if the chemicals are not used within their specified expiration date.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 10th May 2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10th May 2020, 11:15 AM
Friend

Default Storage

I learned a long time ago when I started to print colour that the best (and only) satisfactory way to store chemicals is in brown glass bottles. For what they are they are actually very cheap and cost effective. Certainly centuries ahead of the concertina bottles.

They wash out easily and quickly so can be used for developer one time, wash them out properly and you can store fixer or whatever. If you want an even cheaper (and nicer) storage than buying the large sizes, screw top wine bottles will work just as well so long as you make a good rubber seal to exclude any air.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:00 PM
Friend

I'd agree with comments made by Bob and John.

The concertina bottles don't have good reviews and if they've been used for a while before, (and I like to recycle etc. as well) I'd put them in the recycling bag and order some new bottles - but not concertina ones!

There are many places available to buy new bottles relatively cheaply, for how long they'll last. I'm just about to pop over to ebay to buy some more plastic bottles (thick and made for holding chemicals) and lids. Oh, and it's worth labeling the plastic ones at least, and then only reusing them for similar liquids e.g. once used for fixer, always used for fixer.

John does make a good point about glass ones being easy to clean, but I'd still follow the above.

Whether you buy glass or plastic is a personal choice.

Welcome to the forum.

Terry S
Old 10th May 2020, 01:21 PM
Friend

Default Air permeability

I will add one more thing about concertina bottles, they are plastic as you know and very thin plastic at that. Plastic will allow a degree of air to pass thought the walls so keeping developer in them is not a good idea as developer is almost certain to 'go off' if exposed to air.

If you don't want to go to the expense of glass, the much thicker plastic bottles used by Ilford, Tetenal and Kodak and which are usually thrown out when they are empty are the next best thing to glass./
Old 10th May 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

Hi Spencer, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to say another vote for glass bottles from me, I bought mine from Wilko in the home brewing dept.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Ian
Old 10th May 2020, 02:14 PM
Friend

I’ve had no problems with concertina bottles. They seem airtight to me - at least they don’t “rebound” of their own accord. The chemicals stay fresh just like they should. The bottles I have use thick plastic which might make a difference. Don’t know where they came from originally as I’ve had them for about 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2020, 02:18 PM
Friend

Hi Spencer and welcome to Fadu, in regard to plastic bottles, for developer it is a big no no, If you need to use plastic bottles for developer then re use the thick plastic bottles from the makers, they are a lot better, I store ID11 in these thicker plastic bottles and it seems to keep for many month's do far,but they are fine if used for Fixer and Stop bath, If using any plastic bottles it is important to wash them out well in hot water,
Richard
Old 11th May 2020, 08:04 AM
Friend

If you ever need a cheap source of silicon sheet to make replacement seals, get your hands on a couple of silicon rubber baking dishes from a pound shop. Easily cut with scissors to any shape.
A dab of glue from a glue gun between the cap and seal holds it in place if you get the dimensions wrong when cutting the discs.
There is an interesting thread on glass bottle suppliers here some place.
Search for...…...…. AMPULLA BOTTLES...……www.glassbottles.co.uk...…………...….and BALDWINS.
Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies