Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2020, 02:53 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya m 645 1000s

I have been offered a mamiya outfit at what seems to be a very good price,it has all been serviced, by our local repairman and is for sale in his shop, he and I have become friends over the last few months and he gave me a call to offer it.
It is the camera,with tje 80mm1.9 lens, together with a 45mm,150mm and 500mm lenses, with a metering ptisim, I have never used anytjhing mamiya before, but am very tempted at the price he has offered, namely £250 the lot, What are your opinions on this camera, and is this outfit worth getting at the price, I have seen it and told him I would make up my mind by Monday,everything is working as it should on the camera, it is very clean, just a couple of marks, all of the lenses are mint, so worth getting, as it also comes with the original instruction book, in a Mamiya fitted case, and a 6 month guarantee
Richard
Old 10th July 2020, 03:10 PM
Friend

Richard ,i would bite his arm of for that price i have a mamiya it is a lot later model but they are very good and the lenses are as good as anything out there ,my opinion .the 1.9 is a classic lens ,is the 500mm lens a f5.6 i have that as well as the mirror lens and are used on my mamiya 645 afd cameras ,i would not hesitate to buy it , go for it ,all the lenses will fit all the later models .
Old 10th July 2020, 03:20 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I had that camera with the 80mm, 45mm and 150mm lenses and only traded it in for a Bronica ETR-S because it did not have interchangeable backs until the Super came out. Mamiya lenses are excellent. At that price it is a no brainier. On the auction site they are asking more than that for a basic camera and the 500mm is near to £300. If you don’t get on with it you could probably sell it at a profit!

Bill
Old 10th July 2020, 04:05 PM
Friend

Thanks both for the advice, it certainly seems a worthwhile investment, I also have a Bronica ertsi, but for the price I think it could well be a great investment, I admit the idea of the wider 45mm lens appeals, as does the 500mm,
Richard
Old 10th July 2020, 04:19 PM
Friend

You could be doing him a favour by taking it off his hands for a friendly price. It happens more frequently these days that camera owners would like to see their beloved equipment go to a good home

Alternatively, you could sell it on his behalf.

I don't see myself as a camera dealer, so personally, I don't feel comfortable "profiting" from the generosity of others.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th July 2020, 05:24 PM
Friend

I am 99.9% certain to buy the outfit, not to sell on but to use the outfit myself, I have been looking at the prices of the lenses alone, and the 500mm sells for more than I would pay, plus the 80mm 1.9 seem to carry a premium price if you can find one
Richard
Old 10th July 2020, 05:42 PM
Friend

Hi Richard.

I've got it's baby brother the 645j, only have the standard lens with mine. I don't use it as much as I should, it's a great little camera, can't change the backs mid film, but I have 2 extra film holders in there plastic boxes which save time loading when out and about.

Sounds like you have come across a great bargain there.

Ian
Old 10th July 2020, 05:42 PM
Friend

as i said the lenses will fit all the mamiya 645 and phaseone cameras its still MF and shut down metering on the AF cameras ,as mamiya did not change there bayonet fitting .also a good tip if you do get it save up for the mamiya 120 macro lens ,you will be blown away by it ...

these things never happen to me ,some body gave me a camera once i looked in the back and the shutter was ripped ,thats my luck .

have fun and good luck .
Old 10th July 2020, 06:20 PM
Friend

Thanks Paul and Ian, I was indeed lucky, but sadly over here people don't seem to want MF cameras, 35mm do sell, but not MF, I think a lot are put off by the fact that 120 film is not sold on the Island, 35mm in small amounts at premium prices, ( 35mm HP5+ 36 £8 per cassette), but my repair man is the only place to sell used cameras, He has had a Rolleiflex with a planer lens in his window for nearly 2 years, but if he gets something interesting in he gives me a call, and this was of great interest, but looking at the prices that the 1.9 80 and the 500 seem to go for it is indeed a bargain, and I have given him a ring and said yes, pick it up monday
Richard
Old 11th July 2020, 06:35 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Excellent news. I am sure you will enjoy the camera and lenses. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Maybe worth finding the price of the Rolleiflex and posting it on here. Somebody could well be interested even with the postage added.

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies