Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th January 2015, 01:41 PM
Friend

Default Meopta Magnifax 4 Meograde Multigrade

I have just bought this enlarger from SDS and I would really appreciate peoples opinions on this enlarger and if possible where I can get an operating manual from.
I did read in my research that this is an good enlarger but that opionion was from about 8 years ago and I wanted to know if that opinion still stands.
Old 19th January 2015, 01:47 PM
Friend

I had one of these for a short period of time and I found it to be a robust piece of equipment. My only gripe was that there was a lot of light leakage. Mine had the colour head fitted. I passed it on because I didn't have enough room, otherwise I would have been happy to keep it. The accessories were quite readily available, and inexpensive. I don't know if there's a manual in our manuals section, but I would have thought you would find one online. Perhaps someone here could upload one if it's not already there.
Alex
Old 19th January 2015, 02:08 PM
Friend

They were the top of the range Meopta enlarger,capable of great work and will last a Lifetime, I have a meopta 6, and have done so for a few years now and have no complaints.
Richard
Old 19th January 2015, 02:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I had one of these for a short period of time and I found it to be a robust piece of equipment. My only gripe was that there was a lot of light leakage. Mine had the colour head fitted. I passed it on because I didn't have enough room, otherwise I would have been happy to keep it. The accessories were quite readily available, and inexpensive. I don't know if there's a manual in our manuals section, but I would have thought you would find one online. Perhaps someone here could upload one if it's not already there.
Alex
Thanks Alex I did check the manual section but nothing there hence my appeal for and members input. Hopefully coming from SDS it should be light tight and they have supplied the 6x9 diffuser box so I'm looking forward to printing some of my pinhole negatives.
Old 19th January 2015, 02:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
They were the top of the range Meopta enlarger,capable of great work and will last a Lifetime, I have a meopta 6, and have done so for a few years now and have no complaints.
Richard
Thanks Richard, I also have a Meopta 6 which I bought from Les McLean last year, but I wanted to make some bigger prints so thought an upgrade was necessary.
Old 19th January 2015, 06:32 PM
Friend

There's this on the web archive... click
Old 19th January 2015, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
There's this on the web archive... click
Thank You that looks like the information I'm after
Old 17th February 2015, 07:42 PM
Friend

I have one and have used it for all my B&W printing from 6x9 negs for about 20 years. I use the colour head - never got around to getting the MG head but it serves me well enough as I seldom need the hardest grades . There is a bit of light leakage but it hasn't caused me problems. I like the fact you can, if required, do perspective correction using the head tilt and neg-carrier tilt to get the scheimflug conditions. On the other hand you need to do a bit of checking when you first set up, to make sure the neg carrier is correctly seated and not tilted a little bit ( a disadvantage of it being adjustable ! ) ; check with a grain magnifier across the printing frame from left to right, to set this up .

The only mod I did with this, early on, was to Anti-Reflection-coat the lower neg glass ( the clear one ) to prevent Newton's rings against the film ( eg. for some shiny emulsions ) . I'm lucky enough to work for a major optical company , so got someone in the Vac-coating area to multi-coat the glass !

Tags
enlarger, meopta
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies