Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2020, 12:56 PM
Friend

finally had some successes ,my first problem was film speed reading other sites people were saying the film speed was not as said on the box so I tried 50 ,but it turned out it was what it said on the box 100 then I tried dev dilutions ,and I found that Ilford paper developer mix 1x9 and developed in my jobo tank constant agitation for ten mins gave me good results ,here is some of my results contact prints scanned ,Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	3628

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	3629
Old 28th February 2020, 01:04 PM
Friend

A good start there Paul.

I'm curious as to the use of paper developer, rather than film developer to develop the films. I'm presuming this is what's recommended on the forums?

Either way, I too will be doing a bit of testing once the weathers a bit nicer. My current sessions in my VERY cold darkroom, even with a heater at my feet, are quite short at the moment and I'd like to try some outdoor shots with the film.

Terry S
Old 28th February 2020, 01:25 PM
Friend

hi Terry I tried paper developer ,that others suggested on other sites ,I had run out of film developer ,I got my AG order today and ,with that order I bought a bottle of rodinal to try it out as there was a lot of xray shooters swear by it ,I will also try ilfotec DD-X as well .its all a learning curve for me as its the first time I have used xray film and the first time I have used rodinal ….
Old 28th February 2020, 02:42 PM
Friend

Paul if this is the stuff you mentioned then it is an amazing price. A lot cheaper than current paper

In fact so cheap I wonder if there are any drawbacks. At the risk of seeming to be insulting( not my intention at all) then all I can think of is that the scans of the contact prints seem a little bit fuzzy but this could be down to a number of things such as the scan, focus or even possibly the use of a paper developer

Maybe 3 mannequins are not the best objects for a test for sharpness either

Anyway I'll be interested in the prints from Rodinal developed negs

Mike
Old 28th February 2020, 04:01 PM
Friend

Hi Mike ,the statues are porcelain and not to good to photograph with a beauty dish ,plus all the other things you have said come into it as well ,I did take a picture of my grandkid that I shot at 50 asa it came out very dark but I could see that it is sharp ,but what I really need is ,A a model that will keep still for more than two seconds and B to go outside and take some shots in the daylight....I have two packs of this film one is 100 double side and that's what I am using ,and the other one is 80 and single sided this one I haven't tried yet .once I get the swing of it ,I would think that its not as good as the fomapan 100 4x5 that I am using at the moment , I am hoping its different ,what I need tomorrow is a bit of nice weather or at lest no rain .
Old 28th February 2020, 07:18 PM
Friend

Thanks, Paul. Yes an outdoors shot of a still scene with some fine detail or writing in it would be a great test Is this a 4x5 camera? If so then an outdoor portrait might be possible with quite short exposures or at least short enough for the human to remain still

Just tell the person the price of a 10 sheet pack of Portra 4x5. Now that has to be enough to send the person catatonic for maybe a minute or more. If you sprung this news on me you'd get the thousand yard stare that would rival Don McCullin's Vietnam shot

Mike
Old 29th February 2020, 03:10 PM
Friend

I have been mucking about with dev and dilution times with rodinal ,and I have 1x25 for 10mins development ,so I have put 6 sheets of film in my jobo now and just wait ,
Old 29th February 2020, 10:08 PM
Friend

I also took some portraits, with flash , the faces came out over exposed and the hair is almost imposable to see well under exposed ,also because I cut the film slightly not wide enough some of the film stuck together in my jobo tank and left a slight image on both of them ,I will try and take some portraits outside and see how that goes tomorrow .I will drag my painful body back in to the darkroom and make some contact prints .
Old 1st March 2020, 01:19 PM
Friend

well the xray film has been mind blowing its like starting photography all over again ,I have found that it has trouble with light and dark ,it likes an even light .here are a couple I took the other day . two contact prints and two 10x8 of the same negertives ………

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	3630

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	3631

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	3632

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	3633
Old 1st March 2020, 01:27 PM
Friend

The second contact of the flowers looks good Paul. A nice range of tones in that one.

I'm looking forward to trying it out later in the year, when the weather improves.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies