Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th November 2011, 04:49 PM
Friend

Default water shortage

Due to a very severe shortage of water over here,our resorvoirs are ony 1 third full, the water company is running the sea water de salination plant,but that is producing only 16 million litres of water a day and we are using 18 million, and if the rains do not come we will have stand pipes early next year,and maybe water will have to be imported, and we have been asked to stop using water for non essential purposes, so would darkroom work, which whatever we do uses a lot of water washing prints,be considered essential, I ask because I am being pressured by my neighbours and even my other half, to stop printing my personal photography until the rains come and the situation improves, so what would others here do, would you stop printing for the time being. other than any orders, or carry on printing, I have decided to close down for now, and wait with everything crossed that it will not be to long until I can start again.
Richard
Old 25th November 2011, 05:21 PM
Friend

Richard, as much as it hurts me to say so, unless there is a real need to complete professional commitments, I would refrain from using supplied water for the moment
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 25th November 2011, 05:25 PM
Friend

I think that I would just concentrate on taking pictures and leave the d&p until the situation improves.
Old 25th November 2011, 05:25 PM
Friend

You can't use what you don't have. I'd recommend going out and doing a raindance every evening (after dark so people can't see you). Then again, if you do it in daylight people may take pity on you and leave you alone.
Old 25th November 2011, 05:34 PM
Friend

Trevor,
Yes, that is what I feel, mostly at the moment any professional work is printing orders from my website Etc, and although it hurts me other other than essentials such as that, this is always a quiet time for me, the Christmas work was completed last month, and things don't kick off again until the middle of January, so until then my darkroom is closed for my personal work, and will remain so until the water situation improves, I will continue to take pictures, using the Ilford method to wash the films, and the darkroom will work overtime later next year,
Richard
Old 25th November 2011, 05:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
You can't use what you don't have. I'd recommend going out and doing a raindance every evening (after dark so people can't see you). Then again, if you do it in daylight people may take pity on you and leave you alone.
Looking at the forcast for the next 5 days I don't think I will be the only person over here doing a rain dance, It was a nice day today and I went for a walk around Queens valley reservoir today, the biggest over here, and instead of water there were signs advising people to be careful of the mud, in the 20 years since it was constructed I have never seen so little stored water, mind you, the Queens Valley mud flats made some lovely, but different, photos,
Richard
Old 25th November 2011, 05:47 PM
Friend

Its not essential to develop your films immediately, they too can wait.
Old 25th November 2011, 08:11 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear this. The great thing about the U.K. including the Channel Islands is how quickly things can change so we could easily get a wet winter. Let's hope so but things are bad anywhere East of a line from the Wash to the Severn in the U.K.

I don't think I have ever seen our local reservoir at Brixworth as low as it is.

If it carries on as it is then I think we are facing water restrictions of some kind in Northants as early as next Feb/March

Mike
Old 25th November 2011, 09:01 PM
Friend

If you really have to, it's possible to wash film and prints in sea water (although I've not tried it with FB where's there's a likelyhood the salt etc. will soak into the base) and just give a final rinse in fresh. Probably only worth it for emergencies, though!

Rob
Old 25th November 2011, 09:17 PM
Friend

Oh Dear. Not like here on the Lancs/Yorks border after the fifth damp Summer in succession and flood defence works going on across the road.
I should be using FB papers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies