Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2012, 03:58 PM
Friend

Default Brownies

Hi,

I know this area is supposed to be for plastic cameras (Holgas) but would it be worth expanding it to cover various box cameras and similar? They're not really medium format.

I have a several in the attic, including a Brownie Reflex (fixed lens TLR) and an Ensign reflex which I'm wondering if it's worth putting some film through? I think they are 127 format. There's a Vest Pocket Kodak up there too, but I think that might be too far gone to use.

I might just re-home them and concentrate on 35mm.

Roy
Old 17th August 2012, 05:32 PM
Friend

Hi, there. To the question if it's worth or not to put them on use I'd say that might be fun to try . I've got a Brownie Bullett II which happened to be my first camera ever many moons ago and back then it was fun for sure to shoot it . I remember the pictures, on Vericolor II, looked fine to a small boy and those 10x10 prints were sharp enough if I remembered not to get too close to the subject. The film can still be found, Efke and Rollei if I recall correct, otherwise one can still slit 120.

Cheers, M.
Old 20th August 2012, 04:22 PM
Friend

I think it would be a good idea to include brownies in this category. I have several, most take 120 film and with their single meniscus lenses can produce some interesting results. They are readily available at car boot sales, usually at very optomistic prices! I would advise anyone looking for a box brownie to go for the models which take 120 film as if you have the 620 ones you have to re spool 120 film onto the 620 spool.

Mark
Old 20th August 2012, 05:01 PM
Friend

Wasn't there a Kodak 127 Brownie in a black and white colour scheme in plastic? It looked a bit like a 35mm camera on steroids.

At least I think that it was called a Brownie. It certainly existed. It took good pics in reasonable light conditions. You just had to tailor the film speed to the light conditions.

It felt like a real camera but was very light in weight. It had I think two light conditions speeds( sunny and cloudy) but no focusing required. A great camera for introducing a youngster to analogue photography

Mike
Old 20th August 2012, 07:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Wasn't there a Kodak 127 Brownie in a black and white colour scheme in plastic? It looked a bit like a 35mm camera on steroids.

At least I think that it was called a Brownie. It certainly existed. It took good pics in reasonable light conditions. You just had to tailor the film speed to the light conditions.

It felt like a real camera but was very light in weight. It had I think two light conditions speeds( sunny and cloudy) but no focusing required. A great camera for introducing a youngster to analogue photography

Mike
Hi, there.
Might be this one http://www.brownie-camera.com/9.shtml. Indeed my Bullett II has been a great starter in the photography world for me, I still have it.

Cheers, M.
Old 20th August 2012, 07:53 PM
Friend

My Wife still has a Brownie that must be later than the one shown on the link. It's made of blue plastic and has a aquare button at the front.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:28 PM
Friend

Default Oh, memories!

Thanks for that link to the Brownie Marty, as that was the exact model of camera that I used about 40 years ago. What memories!

I also used a 126 cassette camera along side it when I first got the bug.

Both belonged to my Mum and knowing her, they'll probably still reside at the back of a cupboard somewhere! Must have a look next time I pop by.

Terry
Old 27th August 2012, 04:44 AM
Friend

Default Cameras in the attic

Roy, I am pleased to know you have several old box cameras in your attic. I earnestly entreat you, don't ever throw them away -- they are precious!!!

I would love to hear from you in these columns if you happen to take any pictures with these cameras.

Best wishes
Ravindra
-----------
Box Camera Photography
http://box-camera.blogspot.in
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies