Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2012, 12:36 AM
Friend

Default Basic film developing and printing workshop in Dallas, TX

Last Saturday I met with some local photographers who were meeting to show and demonstrate large and medium format film cameras to a group of folks who were digital only or limited to 35mm in their film experience. I just mentioned to the "organizer" of this group that I had an idea for a darkroom workshop and he took to the idea right off. And now it's on their schedule! This is on Meetup.com (I didn't know about it until recently, either) and I am assured that there will be plenty of interest. We'll see. The Dallas Photography Group has over 1000 members and there are other meetup groups in the area even larger!

I realize that geographically, this will not effect the majority of FADU folks, but I though it will be interesting. Stay tuned!

http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Photogr...ents/84234262/
Old 28th September 2012, 09:57 AM
Friend

A bit far for me but I could certainly do with a few days of the better weather there

What I think may be key here, David, is how many who go to the workshop then decide, if they are 35mm to go into MF/LF or if they are curious digital users decide to move to film or at least pursue a joint digital/film course.

I think there is quite a lot of curiosity these days about film photography and the darkroom but for me, the jury is still out on whether that curiosity can be turned into film use beyond a dedicated minority.

Let us know how it goes

Mike
Old 1st November 2012, 01:09 PM
Friend

The workshop is this Saturday, and it filled up. That is, I got 6 people coming, which is the most I can fit into the darkroom!
Old 1st November 2012, 06:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
The workshop is this Saturday, and it filled up. That is, I got 6 people coming, which is the most I can fit into the darkroom!
Room for 6 people!
You obviously don't have enough enlargers!

Best of luck David and enjoy.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 1st November 2012, 07:54 PM
Friend

David I think I need to re-phrase my comments above. While film and printing workshops might not "move the needle" on a global or even countrywide scale and turn the tide for analogue, I have little doubt that it will by word of mouth "move the needle" in the Dallas area and maybe beyond.

My comments in my first post above refer to "moving the needle" as in the turning the tide and not to any lack of belief on my part in you being able to generate real interest by word of mouth from the satisfied participants.

As I have said on APUG where I am pentaxuser, just be prepared to be pestered about running more courses than your free time might allow

Mike
Old 4th November 2012, 09:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Room for 6 people!:
You obviously don't have enough enlargers!:
Only two enlargers. This was not a workshop where I turned everybody out to make their own prints.

I ended up with 5 participants (one had to drop out at the last minute), but only one actually fit my target audience. I had intended and designed the workshop for individuals that had never done film and wanted to be exposed to the basics. It was mostly a demo, but I had planned for each one to practice loading developing reels, for instance. Only two of the five cared to give it a try. That did save time ...

In the morning, I did all the "lecture" part, going over just about everything needed or not needed to develop and print film. We even discussed darkroom design. I then developed some film, describing each step in detail as I went along. We spent the afternoon printing. I mostly did the printing, but I had different individuals do some of the steps. Again, describing each step as we went and why I was doing what I did. I had picked negatives that showed a progressive set of problems to solve.

Four of the five were large format shooters for the most part, who had all done some darkroom work. However, as the day progressed, I could tell by their questions, and then their reactions to what we were doing, that they really did have a bit to learn.

So, all in all, I think it was successful. I just hope that the next time, I can hit more of the "target" audience.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies