Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th May 2013, 02:58 AM
Friend

Default Olympus OM Macro Lens, 50mm f3.5

I have one of these lenses that I used only about twice quite a few years ago. I am having difficulty in focusing it on the camera and the belows unit for very close work. I have forgotten how I focused in the past. At the moment, I am using the standard focusing screen with the camera as I have not been able to find the 1-11 (cross hairs) screen that I should be using nor any instructions in setting up to do macro.

Can anyone with experience of this lens help me with some tips and copies of applicable Olympus literature. Bellows unit literature also missing.
Old 25th May 2013, 06:58 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Found a copy of the bellows manual here

Bill
Old 25th May 2013, 08:25 AM
Friend

When you say you have trouble focussing, do you mean you are having trouble operating the bellows, or actually seeing in the viewfinder if the image is in best focus?
If it's the latter, you have to remember a couple of things;
as extension increases the lens moves further from the body, casting a dimmer image. For example, with a 50mm lens at life size you are losing two full stops- in effect your 3.5 lens is more like an f8, and harder to see.
Aslo, a thing called depth of focus increases. Think of it as back-to-front depth of field. Instead of the image popping sharply into focus, there is a zone either side of sharp focus which is 'nearly right'. At very big magnifications just focussing moves the lens enough to actually change image size and composition.
Depending on the set up it can almost be easier to get focus as close as you can, then fine tune by shifting the camera (or subject) slightly.
Remember, if it was easy they'd all be doing it . . .
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies