Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2010, 02:21 PM
Friend

Default Film recommendations for California

Hi Les,
I will shortly be visiting California & as usual cannot decide what format to take, 120 or 35mm. And then what film to use. My usual is Delta 100 but its getting expensive so I wondered about T-Max 100. I know you are not a fan of the Yellow Giant but I have seen some wonderful prints from T-Max so I am sure this would not cloud your judgement. As a regular in the USA I am thinking you will have more idea about the sunlight strength & nature. When will we see you @ YMG again?
Best wishes, Andrew

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 20th August 2010, 09:59 PM
Friend

Hi Andrew, I have always used FP4+ or Delta 100 and have been very happy with the results. The light in California can be very contrasty and bright so first of all believe what your meter says. On my first trip out there the meter was telling me 1/250th at f16 which I found hard to believe but it was correct.

Your comment about my dislike of the Yellow God is not quite correct I just hate T-Max because it needs a lot of exposure to record information in the shadows. I did use it for more than a year before giving it the boot. The film that I'd suggest you try is Kodak TriX, developed in HC110 will produce excellent negatives and help you deal with the high contrast because faster films produce less contrast than slower films.

While you are in California if you have not already decided on where to go you really should take a drive down Big Sur, it is magnificent. Also look into Point Lobos a wonderful location and a favourite of Edward Weston who'se house and old darkroom are just a short distance from the place. Turn right as you leave Lobos and westons house is on the right habe side just down the road.

With regard to YMG I'll have to pop down one Sunday to say hello.

Tags
film in usa, film recommendations, t-max
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***