Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th January 2018, 11:20 PM
Friend

Default C41/ra4

Somehow I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of Bleach and Fix (at least 4 litres of separate concentrates) from various C41 development kits (Digibase, Fuji and Tetenal) and I am loath to throw them out. They have not crystalised. If I were to mix them in the correct dilutions for film then combine the two what is the possibility of it working as a blix for RA4 paper?

As it happens I do not have a lot of Blix for RA4 anyway and is basically a money saving venture. If it is unlikely to work I have lost nothing but it is just a thought
Old 5th January 2018, 10:13 AM
Friend

Theoretically it should work, as with B&W, the chemical process is essentially the same for film and paper. Why not mix up a smaller quantity to try in a tray before committing to filling the Nova tank with it.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:18 PM
Friend

My chemical knowledge of RA4 is zero but one questions springs to mind. How do you test for its efficacy, i.e. it may appear to work or it may partially work but is there a test for full functionality so you can be sure that in say 3-4 months or 3-4 years the print will not exhibit problems?

This is going to sound like a piece of alarmist pessimism and it isn't meant to be but it has set me wondering. Frankly I don't even know what the signs or tests are in RA4 for properly blixed paper

Mike
Old 5th January 2018, 03:42 PM
Friend

I would use the fix for black and white film/paper it is about neutral ph.
Old 5th January 2018, 03:52 PM
Friend

I have been in touch with AG Photographic and they had never heard of bleach and fix being mixed together and used as a paper bleach/fix. However there is nothing to say it won't work. I will give it a miss for now and wait until I get truly desperate.
Old 5th January 2018, 05:34 PM
Friend

It seems to me that as blix is bleach and fix mixed then in theory unless the C41 bleach and C41 fix are quite different substances from the RA4 bleach and fix, then there has to be a way of mixing it. Certainly on Photrio there was an article about separating C41 blix into bleach and fix for the reason that a lot there do not trust C41 blix to do the job in the way separate bleach and fix does.

I don't think I am speaking out of turn when I say that colour chemical knowledge is probably more limited here that it is on Photrio so it might be worth posing the question there.

Just be prepared for a deal of dogmatism and unhelpful diversions that thankfully does not afflict us here on FADU.

The "Edge" effect as we Rodinal aficionados say tends to be prominent at times

Mike
Old 5th January 2018, 05:57 PM
Friend

I am a member of Photrio and I treat what they say with a very large pinch, not two pinches of salt. They are so far engrossed with their ideas being the best I take little heed of what they say.
My idea of their opinions reached rock bottom several years ago when someone stated quite categorically that William Henry Fox Talbot was actually an American!
Old 5th January 2018, 10:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
My idea of their opinions reached rock bottom several years ago when someone stated quite categorically that William Henry Fox Talbot was actually an American!
Wow! I must have missed this quote or maybe was able to let it wash over me hence not remembering it . For better or worse- probably the latter, I am much less able to do this nowadays.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies